Raid Z2 builds in seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Quinn

Cadet
Hi everyone - this is my first post ever in a forum. I have always been able to find an answer via Google or a manual but am stumped and need some help.

I built a FreeNAS box using a motherboard with 10 sata III ports (onboard, no seperate raid or HBA controller cards) with 10 X 4tb drives.

Using ZFS Volume Manager I was able to create a RaidZ2 volume which went well except for one issue. When I clicked add volume it only took a few seconds to build? In the past I have used commercial NAS boxes using mostly raid 5 and I remember it took hours if not days to build the volumes?

When I check Active Volumes it shows healthy. I could map the volume from Windows 7 and 8 and it shows the correct amount of storage space.

I don't want to tranfer my data over until I am sure the volume is "correct." As it only took seconds to build I don't trust it is setup correctly. I deleted the volume and built it again with the same results.

I apologize in advance if the answer is here already - I may have missed it as I have limited knowledge of the correct terminology - just a newbie trying to setup a large NAS for my A/V backups. Thank you for your help.

joeschmuck

Old Man
This is normal. The file format doesn't require the entire drive to be reformatted into some proprietary odd format. Ten 4TB drives, bet that cost a pretty penny. Also, hope you used ECC RAM, lots of it.

James Quinn

Cadet
Joeschumck,

Wow - thank you for the quick reply - it is much appreciated and I can now sleep at night. Unfortunately I did not use ECC Ram. I am using 32gb of non ECC. The main purpose of this build was to have a massive storage box that will only be powered on when I do a backup (home use). I have another FreeNas box which has a good LSI raid controller for Raid 0 (performance only, not for backup purpose) which I use to stream to an Intel NUC with OpenElec (XBMC). There are other commercial NAS units which I use in Raid 5 for additional backup (Drobo and Lenovo). I spent a lot of time backing up all my music, movies, home videos, pictures, etc. so I have multiple backups just in case. Once again thank you, for your help.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you're not running ECC RAM then ensure you run MemTest86+ for 3 full passes periodically. I'm sure you have heard the horror stories of folks not using ECC RAM and loosing all their data so remember you have been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.