Creating a volume doesn't appear to work. Probably me but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyToews

Dabbler
I'm new to *nix and FreeNAS. I've setup a new system with 5 x 3Tb SATA hard drives. I go to Create a Volume as per 6.3.3 in the online manual. I give it the name Test and select ada0 through ada4. Then I select ZFS and RAID-ZA. Then I click on Add Volume - Existing data will be cleared.

(Note that I don't get any of the ZFS extra options but then I don't want them anyhow.)

The Create Volume box with the moving barber pole shows for a few seconds and now the Active Volumes screen is displayed. But there are no active volumes.

I do now see /mnt/Test with a plus sign beside it. So just for grins I go to change permissions and get Sorry, an error occurred.

So now I go back to View All Volumes and get to the Active Volumes screen. Which states
There are no active volumes and
No volumes defined.

I go back to create a volume and I can view and repeat the above actions ad nauseum.

I decided to reboot and my new volume was no longer visible. So I have no idea what is going on. Am I missing something obvious?

Now I did have mirror setup for a few days while waiting for some SATA cables and power adapters to arrive. But I would've though this clears those.

Tony

TonyToews

Dabbler
Turns out that somehow that mirror was the problem. It did crop up in an import volume screen so I let it import. Then I exported it and all is well. I was able to create my ZFS volume using all five hard drives. Of course it's reporting only 8 Tb rather then the expected 9 Tb. <sigh> Phooey on hard drive mfrs who figure that 2Tb is 2,000,...,000 rather than 2**12th power. (Or whatever exactly it is. <smile>)

Status
Not open for further replies.