R730XD and TrueNAS

Dolphinez

Cadet
Hy All
I have R730XD (With dual SDCARD for boot) that I want to use as a storage server.
(I have a full 26 HDD / SSD drives).
The server has:
2 X Xeon 2699v3
128GB Memory
PERC H730P mini storage controller.

My questions are:
1. is it passable & recommended to install TrueNAS to the SDCard (It is fully mirrored)
2. Is it recommended to use the controller to configure the raid or let the TrueNAS configure it?
3. What is the best way to install the TrueNAS (USB / iDrac / other)?
4. I welcome any other suggestion / advise

Tnx

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With dual SDCARD for boot
1. is it passable & recommended to install TrueNAS to the SDCard (It is fully mirrored)
Ooof, I seem to only hear bad things about those modules. I wouldn't recommend it. With front and rear drive bays, can't you spare one or two for some cheap SATA SSDs? What's this thing going to be used for?
2. Is it recommended to use the controller to configure the raid or let the TrueNAS configure it?
PERC H730P mini storage controller.
You need to take two steps back and do some research, because that's a very fundamental question, with a very straightforward answer. Hardware RAID is 100% unacceptable and 100% undesirable. You can replace the H730P Mini with an HBA330 Mini and solve that part of your problem.
3. What is the best way to install the TrueNAS (USB / iDrac / other)?
Whatever works for you? Sure, IPMI virtual media is slow as molasses, but it's mostly bearable over LAN. What do you feel like doing less? Waiting for the virtual media or preparing a USB flash drive with the installer?
4. I welcome any other suggestion / advise
Update all the firmware while you're at it. They're still releasing new updates for both iDRAC and the system firmware.

Dolphinez

Cadet
Ooof, I seem to only hear bad things about those modules. I wouldn't recommend it. With front and rear drive bays, can't you spare one or two for some cheap SATA SSDs? What's this thing going to be used for?

You need to take two steps back and do some research, because that's a very fundamental question, with a very straightforward answer. Hardware RAID is 100% unacceptable and 100% undesirable. You can replace the H730P Mini with an HBA330 Mini and solve that part of your problem.

Whatever works for you? Sure, IPMI virtual media is slow as molasses, but it's mostly bearable over LAN. What do you feel like doing less? Waiting for the virtual media or preparing a USB flash drive with the installer?

Update all the firmware while you're at it. They're still releasing new updates for both iDRAC and the system firmware.

One more question:
I know that Perc H730P have the ability to convert the drives to HBA.
Is it possible to work with TrueNAS that the controller are in HBA mode?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Simple answer is no.