Quota storage for user

The_punisher

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am new on FreeNAS and i have a question. I read documentation on the web and the forum but is not clear for me what is the better way to define quota for users.

I know 2 methods:

1. Set the quota for Dataset and create 1 dataset for user to define the quota.
2. Set the quota to CLI throught the command zfs set userquota@domain\\user=1t Volume1

It should be noted when i make the 2 method the quota for the user do not appear in the GUI, only i can see if write the command zfs userspace Volume1, but i cant´t to intereact with this space.

My questions is, what is the better way? For dataset or for CLI? If is for CLI, how can see the quota for users in the GUI? How can work with this?

PD: The FreeNAS is joint with AD domain and the users are users of domain, no local.

Thanks,

Best regard.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you tried your option 2 on a child dataset? I'm not sure I would expect it to show up in the GUI at the top-level dataset.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Assuming you want to do this on a per-user basis, one option to try out is as follows:

Create a share, removing "zfsacl" and "zfs_space" as vfs objects and setting "ixnas". Once you have done this, set the auxiliary parameter
ixnas:base_user_quota = 80G

This will cause an 80GB ZFS _user_ quota to be automatically generated on first share connect. Once they are generated, you can actually use the native windows NT quota administration tool in File Exporer to fine-tune as needed.

The_punisher

Cadet
Hi @sretalla

Thanks for you feedback, yes , i tried set the quota in the child dataset and i recive the same result, i can´t see the quota in the GUI but yes in the CLI with the command zfs userspace Volume1/TimeMachine.

The_punisher

Cadet
Assuming you want to do this on a per-user basis, one option to try out is as follows:

Create a share, removing "zfsacl" and "zfs_space" as vfs objects and setting "ixnas". Once you have done this, set the auxiliary parameter
ixnas:base_user_quota = 80G

This will cause an 80GB ZFS _user_ quota to be automatically generated on first share connect. Once they are generated, you can actually use the native windows NT quota administration tool in File Exporer to fine-tune as needed.

Thanks for reply @anodos , yeah, your solution work well, but i can´t delate the quota for the users after create (i am testing), i recive a message indicating what the user don´t exist (domain user) there are some trik to delete the quota since the shell? I try with the command zfs userquota@DOMAIN\marks=none Volume1/fs4 or zfs userquota@marks=none Volume1/fs4 but the same message again and again, the user don´t exist.

For other side, i have 2 questions more:

1. You know if is possible see the quota of users in the GUI? Or only i can see throught the CLI with the command zfs userspace Volume1/fs4 or other

2. The VFS Object streams_xattr is necesary or only with ixnas is enough?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regard,

The_punisher

Cadet
Thanks for reply @anodos , yeah, your solution work well, but i can´t delate the quota for the users after create (i am testing), i recive a message indicating what the user don´t exist (domain user) there are some trik to delete the quota since the shell? I try with the command zfs userquota@DOMAIN\marks=none Volume1/fs4 or zfs userquota@marks=none Volume1/fs4 but the same message again and again, the user don´t exist.

For other side, i have 2 questions more:

1. You know if is possible see the quota of users in the GUI? Or only i can see throught the CLI with the command zfs userspace Volume1/fs4 or other

2. The VFS Object streams_xattr is necesary or only with ixnas is enough?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regard,

Okay, i answer myself, i find how delete the quota of the users, is with the command zfs set userquota@DOMAIN\\USER=none Volume1/fs4