Quick question for the devs about 9.10 and jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Was something changed with the jail structure for 9.10? It seems that jail processes are limited to a single core since updating a week ago. Decompressing files takes much longer and never goes over 25% CPU utilization. Right now I'm cleaning the ports tree in a jail and it's taking what seems like an eternity.

I know Jordan has talked about run away processes in jails consuming all available resources and causing a kernel panic and I was just wondering if something was changed in 9.10 to limit this to one core to prevent it from happening.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Did you find the answer you were looking for?

I know that the OS itself changed from 9.x to 10.x and that it is recommended to reinstall jails so they are using the 10 ABI. Are you seeing that behavior after reinstalling the jails, or are these old jails from before the upgrade?

Mlovelace

Guru
Was something changed with the jail structure for 9.10? It seems that jail processes are limited to a single core since updating a week ago. Decompressing files takes much longer and never goes over 25% CPU utilization. Right now I'm cleaning the ports tree in a jail and it's taking what seems like an eternity.

I know Jordan has talked about run away processes in jails consuming all available resources and causing a kernel panic and I was just wondering if something was changed in 9.10 to limit this to one core to prevent it from happening.
I'm going to test this tonight when I get home. I have noticed when Plex has to transcode instead of direct stream it's slower than it had been. This could be why...

Mlovelace

Guru
It's using multiple cores but as "nice" so a low priority process, unfortunately. I think this is what was implemented to neuter resources being used by jails.

Status
Not open for further replies.