Questions with AFP (Database Path, and CIFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonOmega

Cadet
Hello all,

I searched for answers to this question and can't really find any information.
I am new to AFP, but not NAS (and SAN) solutions. Also familiar with Mac, so talk tech to me. :smile:

I created a ZFS Datasheet specifically for my AFP "Database Path". I made this 0770 with root:apple.group. When I place the "/mnt/group_storage/afp_database/" string in the Database Path it works. The Apple clients connect to the shares fine.

My question is, I have this same path for all of my AFP shares. Is this ok, or do I need a DB path for each?
I ask because if clients quickly switch AFP shares it generates a message saying "CNID Error..." No Helpful Information other than See AFP log. So I look at the console in FreeNAS and it only shows the disconnect and reconnect in read-only. I am going to dig around logs/messages but have not had the time to do so yet.

My second question is about CIFS, I run CIFS on some of these shares for multi-os access. I have catered the settings to having both live in harmony. But i noticed something that I don't think is a problem for us (we connect directly to the server and access shares from that finder window). When i turn off CIFS, all the shares can be displayed in the "Computer" finder window. When I turn it on 2 disappear, but you can access them from the "SHARED" listing for the server. Is that a sign that i configured something wrong? If so any clue what, because the configurations look the same. I don't use "Discovery Mode" because we have a DNS and FreeNAS is working fine with it.

System Information:
FreeNAS Build - FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p1-x64 (11059)
Platform - AMD E-350 Processor
Memory - 7774MB (8GiB with shared Video)
Uptime - 11:19AM up 34 days, 12:55, 0 users
Load Average - 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
OS Version - FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p6
Network - 1000-BaseT

I am scheduling a reboot soon. So uptime will drop, and I might be back with some corrections.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide,

SimonOmega

Cadet
After a little testing and research it seems the CNID error is gone by doing the following:
Database Path: "/mnt/group_storage/afp_database/[UNIQUE_ID_FOR_EACH_SHARE]"

I also no longer lose network drives listed in the "Computer" Finder Window when running both CIFS and AFP.

Hope this can help someone else. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.