CIFS Shares Showing in Finder Window osx

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1761

Dabbler
I'm using a Afp and CIFS services. I predominantly use a Mac but had to enable CIFS for my WD HD media box. When I open the Finder window within osx I get a shared drive pop named 'CIFS Shares on freenas' as well as the Afp 'freenas' drive. I would of thought the osx wouldn't recognise it being a windows service? If I'm incorrect is there any way of getting osx to ignore it?

Attachments

• CIF.png
    CIF.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 251

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Cifs/smb shares are universally used across windows, Mac, BSD, and Linux. It is functioning normal. Also there is a rumor of Apple getting rid of afp in an upcoming release so just get used to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

daz1761

Dabbler
I see, I've just tried accessing the 'CIFS Shares on freenas' on my mac and I can connect as a guest just like my Afp. If thats the case I might well disable Afp if they get rid as you say.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Like I said, its only a rumor, but I would use CIFS over AFP anyway. The only reason to use AFP would be for TimeMachine. If you dont need TimeMachine, just use CIFS

daz1761

Dabbler
Ah I see, interesting, well I used to use time machine but favour Carbon Copy Clone (when I get around to setting it up). Thanks again for the help!

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Bump!!! I have a mixed Mac / PC environment and have a working CIFS to share data on my FreeNAS between all my devices. I just setup a dataset to use as a Time Machine Backup storage area with an AFP share. The reason I used an AFP was to restrict access and thought that's what I needed to get TM up and running. What will we do when /if Apple dump AFP?? Will TM work over CIFS??

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Bump!!! I have a mixed Mac / PC environment and have a working CIFS to share data on my FreeNAS between all my devices. I just setup a dataset to use as a Time Machine Backup storage area with an AFP share. The reason I used an AFP was to restrict access and thought that's what I needed to get TM up and running. What will we do when /if Apple dump AFP?? Will TM work over CIFS??
Since right now it's just a rumor we won't know until something is official. But considering apple is not likely to leave its time machine users high and dry my guess is that they will implement something should they indeed remove AFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.