Question on components in used Super Micro Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
I have been running FreeNAS now for almost 2 years on a server I built from scratch (Specs in signature), but now I am looking to go bigger :)

I am looking at purchasing one of these used Super Micro Servers, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-...hash=item212c7717e1:m:mnIPIwK324fTjmzYGRw7aQw

I have a couple questions maybe you all can help me with.

The backplane is, BPN-SAS2-826EL1 12-port 2U SAS2 6Gbps single-expander backplane
The RAID/HBA is, 1x LSI 9211-4i HBA JBOD FREENAS UNRAID (With SAS2 expander will see all 12 drives)

My first question would be, can I use normal SATA drives in this server. I want to put 8TB (typo said GB) Drives in it.
Second question is, from what I can tell the LSI 9211-4i should be fine as it can be put in IT Mode and looks like they already did that. Any thing else I should look out for with this?
Last question, does anyone know if its possible to add an SSD or two SSD's to this to run the OS or Cache?

Hoping this is the server to last me another 4 years at least, please let me know if there is anything to look out for with this type of server?

Thank You!!

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
can I use normal SATA drives in this server.
Certainly.
I want to put 8GB Drives in it.
That would be a waste. You probably meant 8 TB, which should work just fine.
Any thing else I should look out for with this?
Make sure it's flashed to the correct version--it should be 20.07.00, IIRC.
does anyone know if its possible to add an SSD or two SSD's to this to run the OS or Cache?
Probably, but I'm not sure if SuperMicro has a bracket for them, or if you'd just need to velcro them inside the chassis somewhere. But unless you have 64+ GB of RAM, the cache device won't be useful.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Thanks so much for the reply. Yes sorry I meant 8TB drives. My plan would be to have 64GB of ram to start I think. At the very least though I would like to put the OS on a SSD even though Freenas has been running off my USB stick just fine for a couple years on my other server :). Unfortunetly this server only has USB 2 though :(

garm

Wizard
That board has DOM support (Disk-on-module) so I would get one of those. Nice looking setup though. Might get one of those myself rather then buy an expander cabinet

danb35

Hall of Famer
That board has DOM support (Disk-on-module) so I would get one of those.
DOMs are handy but expensive, especially for Supermicro DOMs. But certainly neater than sticking an SSD to the side of the chassis with Velcro.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Thanks everyone for your info and help. I just placed the order for one of these servers, such a good deal for all that processing power, so excited!! :) I'll check the LSI boards firmware and upgrade to the correct version 20 firmware if its not already there. Looking at the DOM modules on newegg, looks like a 32GB module is about 80 bucks, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=supermicro_dom-_-9SIA25V5RB8616-_-Product but might be nice to have for the OS. Will think about getting one of those, otherwise I have another 32GB Sandisk USB stick (The same in my other FreeNAS which has been flawless) in the meantime to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.