Supermicro SAS 1 Backplane HDD capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
Hello, I recently purchased a used Supermicro SC846, but did not recognize that there were differences in backplanes offered for this chassis. It has come to my attention that the chassis I ordered comes with a BPN-SAS-846EL1 installed, but they can also come with BPN-SAS2-846 and BPN-SAS3-846 variants.

The case hasn't arrived yet but I want to know if I need to order anything else or if I can wait. I purchased 6 4TB drives, so my question is will I be able to access 4TB drives on this SAS1 expander backplane? or do I need to buy a SAS2 to access 4TB? Could I add larger hard drives in the future? I do realize I will be limited to SATA2 speeds with this backplane, but i'm mainly interested in capacity limits of the SAS1 expander I will be using.

If it helps answer the question, I will be attaching this to a LSi 9211 HBA.

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
I just got off the phone with SuperMicro, which I guess I probably should've done first, but essentially the answer is that it "officially" only supports drives up to 2TB. Unofficially larger drives may work, but they couldn't tell me for certain one way or another.

Perhaps someone else here has a similar setup and can let me know? SAS2 backplanes are quite expensive, even used, so if I can avoid having to pony up for one, it would be ideal.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I just got off the phone with SuperMicro, which I guess I probably should've done first, but essentially the answer is that it "officially" only supports drives up to 2TB. Unofficially larger drives may work, but they couldn't tell me for certain one way or another.

Perhaps someone else here has a similar setup and can let me know? SAS2 backplanes are quite expensive, even used, so if I can avoid having to pony up for one, it would be ideal.
Interesting question. LSI SAS1 controllers are limited in hardware to 2TB drives. I imagine the expanders might have the same limitation.

You're going to need the SAS2 backlpane, found here and here , i wish i could find more...or a seller with the chassis that comes with the SAS2....but the ebayer i got mine from , certifiedservers , doesnt have any with SAS2 backplane...but they maybe worth a call here is there user page, and here is there fb with the phone number to call.

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies. The server chassis just arrived today, so I'm hoping to be able to do some testing within the next day or so. I'll let you know what I find out. I've seen some evidence that it will work with drives larger than 2TB but you wont be able to fill all 24 drive bays if you do so.

Unfortunately, the chassis showed up without screws for any of the HDD caddies. Does anyone know what size they HDD screws are? Perhaps I can pick them up at my local hardware store if I know what size they are.

mattbbpl

Patron
Thanks for the replies. The server chassis just arrived today, so I'm hoping to be able to do some testing within the next day or so. I'll let you know what I find out. I've seen some evidence that it will work with drives larger than 2TB but you wont be able to fill all 24 drive bays if you do so.

Unfortunately, the chassis showed up without screws for any of the HDD caddies. Does anyone know what size they HDD screws are? Perhaps I can pick them up at my local hardware store if I know what size they are.
Don't bother. Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, and Best Buy all turned up empty for me. I ordered a package from newegg. Should arrive today.

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
Thanks Mattbbpl. I just ordered these from amazon, got the last one with prime shipping, and upgraded it for a next day delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.