Question around ZFS and UFS, and file manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppy

Cadet
Hi

I have freenas8 installed on a HP proliant box, I have 4 drives attached installed and a LIAN-LI (5x 2tb 5bays) raid server connected to my freenas server via e-sata.

My raid server is formatted with NTFS, which i know is not the best option, i will be getting a second LIAN-LI (5x 2tb 5bays) raid server setup in the next week and want to know which file system should i use when formatting this new server? ZFS, UFS or EXT2,3,4? Raid is handled by the Server and not by Freenas

now regrading a file manager, my current raid has 6tb of data and i will be wanting to move that data to the new raid box once i have set it up and done the relevant formatting then of couse formatting the old server to which ever file system is recommended.

Is there a recommended web GUI file manager for Freenas that i should use to make the transfer and management of this 6tb move, i could do the whole command line method, but feel that a gui interface might allow me to track the progress a little better or do the move in phases.

So to sum it up

1. what file system should i use for my Drives and raid servers that connect to Freenas
2. is there a webgui file manager that is recommended to use for moving around large volumes of data.

many thanks in advance
Hoppy

ProtoSD

MVP
Hoppy,

I'm going to try and retract my claws a little bit for this, but...

You are AT LEAST the 100th person to ask this same scenario. You really need to spend some time and RTFM, AND read the forums. I've seen nearly every post for the last couple of years here and I can safely say that all of your questions have been answered here. So PLEASE spend some more time doing your homework and when you're done, if you still don't understand, please demonstrate to us that you put some effort into it and don't just say "I searched and couldn't find anything".

Sorry, but repeating the same stuff day after day is wasting everyone's time and gets really irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.