Questions before I get started

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSt

Cadet
I am at my wits' end with Windows Home Server and I would like to use my existing server hardware with a FreeNAS installation if possible. Before I get started I have a few questions about my configuration and whether it is possible or not.

My current hardware looks like this:

Intel D510MO (Atom based 64 bit dual core)
4GB RAM
2x750GB hard drives
Integrated LAN/SATA

(1) From what I have read, my hardware might not be beefy enough to run ZFS so should I stick to UFS?
(2) I would like to keep the 2x750GB as a RAID 1 setup. I have no problem formatting the existing drives.
(3) In addition, I would like to add another large (2TB) hard drive to be used as a Time Machine and Acronis target disk for client machine images. Is it possible to have a raided volume as well as another disk split into two non-raid volumes?

Thanks in advance!

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
(1) It should be ok to use ZFS unless you're too concerned about performance
(2) No problem with that
(3) Freenas cannot deal with partitions, it uses the entire disk. However you can try creating the volumes in CLI then import in the GUI.

DaveSt

Cadet
Thanks for the reply William.

Just so I understand this correctly. I would be able to have a RAIDed volume and a separate volume not attached to the RAID? I don't have a problem using two smalled disks (four total) to accomplish my needs if that is a possible solution. I just don't want my machine images taking up space on the main volume because those aren't critical enough to warrant duplication. I wasn't sure if all disks get added to a common pool or not.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Thanks for the reply William.

Just so I understand this correctly. I would be able to have a RAIDed volume and a separate volume not attached to the RAID? I don't have a problem using two smalled disks (four total) to accomplish my needs if that is a possible solution. I just don't want my machine images taking up space on the main volume because those aren't critical enough to warrant duplication. I wasn't sure if all disks get added to a common pool or not.

Yes, you are correct, you can have as many volumes as you want, each one with its own config (1 mirrored volume + 2 single disk volumes)

Status
Not open for further replies.