SOLVED Qualified RAM for ASRock E3C236D2I Mini-ITX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bautrey

Cadet
This is my first server and FreeNAS build I'm doing right now. I am planning on using this for 16 TB of usable space with 6 x 4TB HDDs in RAID-Z2 on FreeNAS with plex. Also I want to run virtual machines on it too.
Right now, I've decided on a ASRock E3C236D2I Mini-ITX and Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6.

When I try to find RAM approved by ASRock to use in there motherboard, the Memory QVL list is located on ASRock site here: http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D2I#Memory
I can't figure out how I can use the Module and Part No values to find a DIMM I can buy. When I try to google search these sticks, nothing shows up of something I can buy.

I know I will need Unbuffered DDR4 2133MHz 16GB DIMMS. I think I should go with one 16GB DIMM now, to make room for upgrading in the future (since RAM is super expensive now), since if I have 16TB of storage that would require 16GB of RAM space, plus the RAM I will need for the apps and virtualization.
I was thinking of https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KK8XNLA/ref=psdc_172500_t1_B00MP2IX1O
or https://www.amazon.com/dp/b01dkbpy2e/?tag=extension-kb-20

What should I buy?

Thank you for your help!

KrisBee

Wizard
That crucial memory you've found is not for you. It's an RDIMM - registered ECC - your m/board needs ECC unregistered. The m/board QVL is short and maybe not up to date.

Have look for other working ECC unregistered RAM modules on the Asrock Forum and/or those who have reviewed their purchase from newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...599005&cm_re=E3C236D2I-_-13-599-005-_-Product

You also need to ensure that m/board is supplied with the latest BIOS to be able to use a Kaby Lake CPU.

Finally, if you'r planning on using IPMI you might want to check what the latest situation is with Asrock's Java Applet implementation.

Redcoat

MVP
IPMI you might want to check what the latest situation is with Asrock's Java Applet implementation.
The 0.35.00 BMC version Java Applet is functional.

bautrey

Cadet
@KrisBee Thanks for catching that. I didn't that Registered RAM is the same thing as Buffered RAM. So the types I'll be needing it UDIMM with ECC or EUDIMM.

The reviews only mention Crucial CT16G4WFD824A 16GB memory. This is a 2400 MHz stick and according to ASRack specifications should work. However I can't find any Crucial 16GB or 8GB DDR4 UDIMM ECC sticks anywhere on the Internet, they seem to be all out of stock.

I got the Kingston stick from this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/pCmqqs
It seems to meet the requirements. I haven't found any other options.

@Redcoat Thanks!

KrisBee

Wizard

bautrey

Cadet
Well I wanted a small form factor and I already bought the motherboard.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know I could look up the motherboard memory compatibility through Kingston. I bought this stick.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

bautrey

Cadet
Do you have any other questions about the hardware for your system?
This is my current build now. Everything is purchased and on the way.
Part Name Price

Motherboard ASRock E3C236D2I Mini ITX Server 200

Processor Xeon E3-1220 v6 200

RAM Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16G) DDR4 2133 Server Memory ECC DIMM 178

USB 16GB SanDisk Ultra Fit 10

PSU Silverstone ST45SF-V3 65

Case Lian Li PC-Q25 77

HDD WD Red 4TB x 5 (134-15)*5=595

Fans Noctua 120mm and 140mm 20+22=42

Total: 1367

The case has space for 7 x 3.5 inch drives, the motherboard has 6 sata ports and the PSU has 3 SATA cables, so looks like I'll need to buy some converters from PCI-E to sata, like these. Are these good or recommend anything else?

Here's one question...
Can I mix different speeds of HDDs in a ZFS array? like if I were to buy one or two more drives but were 7200 rpm. The current drives I have now are 5400 rpm. The reason being is the HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB drives are on sale now for $100 each, where I bought the WD ones for $115 each.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
looks like I'll need to buy some converters from PCI-E to sata, like these. Are these good or recommend anything else?
That is not the correct thing to power a hard drive. I will need to look at it more tomorrow or someone else may chime in tonight.
Can I mix different speeds of HDDs in a ZFS array? like if I were to buy one or two more drives but were 7200 rpm. The current drives I have now are 5400 rpm. The reason being is the HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB drives are on sale now for $100 each, where I bought the WD ones for $115 each.
Mixing different drives should not be a problem, just keep in mind the performance will be based on the slowest drive.

bautrey

Cadet
That is not the correct thing to power a hard drive. I will need to look at it more tomorrow or someone else may chime in tonight.

I think I got it now. I can use the two molex's to convert one molex to 2 sata cables. This should be the correct way to get more sata connectors. That'll give me 7 in total. I thought the fans would connect to the molex's like they do on my desktop, but the motherboard has two fan connectors for the fans which I forgot about.

Status
Not open for further replies.