QNAP Container Station to TrueNAS Scale

Isaac039

Cadet
I'm currently setting up a bit more robust TrueNAS Scale build and one of the goals is to migrate my Home Assistant container, among others, from my QNAP to TrueNAS Scale. I have the exported TAR file from my QNAP but I'm a bit at a loss for the process to import it into TrueNAS. I'm running the latest build of TrueNAS Scale, just for a little background. Hoping for some pointers.
Thanks!

PhilD13

Patron
I don't use HA but I think you would need to first install and do a basic setup of Home Assistant in Truenas scale. You can find HA under the Apps tab >available apps, > search for the term home in the search box (easy way) or browse apps Then backup/restore the setup from the old home assistant to the new one in Truenas however that is accomplished through the app.

Isaac039

Cadet
I hadn't taken the time to circle back on updating the thread but it looks like I had over-complicated thing for how to try to do the migration. I had the idea of doing a basic install of HA in TrueNAS with the file directory shared so I could view the files in Windows Explorer side-by-side the files of HA on my QNAP. The files were nearly identical, save for some of the customization and automation I had configured into my QNAP-HA install of course.

For anyone else wanting to do something similar to this. Update your container for your current setup to the latest version available. In TrueNAS, create your config folder/dataset first. After that, copy all the files from your current HA setup into that folder/dataset. Once the files are copied, install HA and point the config and file storage to the folder/dataset.

It will take a fair amount of time, 5-10 minutes depending on your hardware. For my migration, everything worked perfectly once the container in TrueNAS was fully operational. The only caveat I would put on this is that a couple integrations within HA were no longer supported but that is something specific to HA and not because of any issues with TrueNAS. So its something I figure worth calling out in case you have integrations in HA which are dependent on an older HA build.