SOLVED [PSA] Sonarr v4 Upgrade in a Jail

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
[This applies to TrueNAS CORE and the Jail system, not to SCALE]

Just to let anyone know in advance...

Sonarr has released a v4, which is based on dotnet (no longer Mono... although at least one dependency library is still used from Mono).

In order to take an existing jail from running sonarr v3, you will need to do at least 2 things:

1. make sure your jail is set for allow_mlock (iocage set allow_mlock=1 <jailname>)

2. from inside the jail (iocage console <jailname>) either remove the sonarr pkg (pkg remove sonarr) and install the sonarr-devel pkg (pkg install sonarr-devel) or upgrade the sonarr-devel pkg if that's already what you had (pkg upgrade ... then y)

if you're not sure which pkg you're running, use pkg info | grep sonarr.

EDIT: The sonarr pkg has now been upgraded in the latest train, so you can probably just use that now, no need to remain on the sonarr-devel pkg.

That has worked fine in my experience (after a bit of figuring it out).

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In case it helps, here's a script which would install you a jail from scratch with the new version:

Code:
echo '{"pkgs":["sonarr"]}' > /tmp/pkg.json
iocage create -n "sonarr" -p /tmp/pkg.json -r 13.2-RELEASE dhcp="on" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" allow_mlock=1 boot="on" bpf="yes"
rm /tmp/pkg.json
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /config
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /mnt/TV
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /mnt/downloads
iocage fstab -a sonarr /mnt/appspool/apps/sonarr /config nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a sonarr /mnt/datapool/data/Multimedia/TV /mnt/TV nullfs rw 0 0
iocage fstab -a sonarr /mnt/datapool/Downloads /mnt/downloads nullfs rw 0 0
iocage exec sonarr "pw user add sonarruser -c sonarruser -u 568 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/bin/nologin"
iocage exec sonarr chown -R sonarruser:wheel /usr/local/share/sonarr /config
iocage exec sonarr chown sonarruser:wheel /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sonarr
iocage exec sonarr chmod u+x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sonarr
iocage exec sonarr sysrc "sonarr_enable=YES"
iocage exec sonarr sysrc "sonarr_user=sonarruser"
iocage exec sonarr sysrc "sonarr_data_dir=/config"
iocage exec sonarr service sonarr start
iocage exec sonarr mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
iocage exec sonarr echo 'FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest" }' >/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

You'll need to edit the username (sonarruser), uid (568) and paths (everything beginning with /mnt/) to ones that make sense on your system.

You may also need to work out if that last line will work without being at the console of the jail... too many quotes and brackets to work as an iocage exec, I think.

Last edited:

TripitakaBC

Cadet
OK, so my setup is a little funky but it worked after I ran chown -R sonarr:[my media group] /usr/local/share/sonarr and /usr/local/sonarr

Also, v4 is now on main release so uninstalling sonarr v3 then installing sonarr v4 works OK. If you can't uninstall v3 then most likely - like me - you had locked it to prevent it breaking with the who sqlite and mono issue a while back. Run pkg sonarr unlock and then pkg remove sonarr

Dont forget to backup BEFORE you uninstall!!!

sretalla