PRTG Monitoring of FreeNAS, what sensor is most important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am monitoring several different systems with PRTG and like to monitor the FreeNAS. I have manage to add the FreeNAS MIB, but there is so many sensors to work with. And having all will just use up available sensor. So finding the right sensors to monitor is key. For information my system runs 16 disk, 2 and 2 disk works in mirror creating one big volum.

SystemInformation.PNG PRTG_sensors3.PNG

In monitoring you have SNMP on the CPU, memory etc.

PRTG_overview.PNG

But there are so many more sensors that you could monitor, but which of these would be beneficial to monitor, and why???
I got 7 pages of sensors to chose from, a bunch of datasets and some zpools.

PRTG_sensors1.PNG PRTG_sensors2.PNG PRTG_sensors3.PNG

Attachments

• Disks..PNG
    Disks..PNG
    640.1 KB · Views: 781

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I like to keep track of my drive temperatures, my CPU utilization and temp.
All the other monitoring I do is daily or weekly, not momentary. Even those monetary sensor readings don't tell a lot that is useful unless there is a sudden, unexpected spike in CPU use or a spike in one of the drive temperatures.
Have you implemented any of these monitoring scripts:

Github repository for FreeNAS scripts, including disk burnin
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-freenas-scripts-including-disk-burnin.28/

Temperatures would be nice, and that script works. But how to get this information into PRTG? I would need to run a SSH Script in PRTG but not sure how.

Following the PRTG guide, it says to have the script running in /var/prtg/scripts/ but the file still does not show. How can I set the script to constantly run?
If I in Putty/Shell do a
Code:
/bin/sh /var/prtg/scripts/get_hdd_temp.sh
Then I get a read on all cores and disks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.