Proxmox VM can't access SMB Share of Truenas

Buddinski88

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have a Proxmox cluster consisting of three systems (pve1 and pve2 each directly on an Intel NUC) and one VM (pve3) in TrueNAS Scale.
I have created an SMB share so that I can store my Proxmox backups on my NAS.

The two IntelNucs can also access it without any problems, but the VM cannot.

Error message on the pve3:
Code:
TASK ERROR: could not activate storage 'backup-truenas': storage 'backup-truenas' is not available on node 'pve3'

I have already found a few posts and it seems to be a known issue that a VM cannot access a share of its host. Unfortunately I can't find a solution on how to make this happen?

I have attached the logs "Download Logs" as an attachment.

As I said, the SMB share works everywhere except in the VM running directly on TrueNas.

What is the problem there?

Best regards
Bastian

Attachments

• 6_pve3.txt
    25.6 KB · Views: 33

chuck32

Guru
I have already found a few posts and it seems to be a known issue that a VM cannot access a share of its host. Unfortunately I can't find a solution on how to make this happen?

Did you create a Network Bridge?

Buddinski88

Cadet
Thank you for the hint. I did something similar but based on a thread in another forum.

I can't set a alias for the br0 network. If i understand correctly, then the bridge should get the ip adress from enp7s0?
When i add 10.10.10.35/24 as an alias, i can not save the changes.

What am i doing wrong?

1701779719802.png

chuck32

Guru
Yes, effectively you remove the alias from enp7s0 and assign it to the bridge.

Did you follow the linked Ressource step by step? What exactly is the error message when it doesn't let you save the alias? I assume you did not remove the alias from your physical interface before.

I haven't reread the guide when I linked it, you have to assign the bridge to your VM when you are done.

Buddinski88

Cadet
Yes, effectively you remove the alias from enp7s0 and assign it to the bridge.

Did you follow the linked Ressource step by step? What exactly is the error message when it doesn't let you save the alias? I assume you did not remove the alias from your physical interface before.

I haven't reread the guide when I linked it, you have to assign the bridge to your VM when you are done.

After my answer, the solution came to me. I did not remove the alias from enp7s0. This may only be assigned once and that should be br0. Now it works.

Thank you for the hint :smile: