Proxmox -> TrueNAS Replication Task

peterbatah

Cadet
Hello all. First time post.

I run TrueNAS Core Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U5.1 on a dedicated server (ThinkServer TS140).
I run Proxmox VE Version: 7.4-13 on it's own dedicated server as well.

I came across a YT video where the presenter dicusses how one might use ZFS Replication from Proxmox to TrueNAS
I have gone as far as far as setting up my SSH connection (pve) and created the SSH Keypairs (pve Keys).
I then move on to Tasks / Replication Tasks / Add
Source Location = On a different system
SSH Connections = pve
Source = When I come to choose the source I I see the word "loading" flash by very quickly but am not presented with the PM tree which in theory should give me a list of the VM's that I wish to select for replication. In the YT video tutorial that I mentioned earllier that came up as rpool / data / vm-101-disk-0 for example.

FWIW I can SSH into my PM machine from a TrueNAS shell using the credentials that I provided when setting up my TN SSH Connection.
Your time and assistance will be greatly appreciated. Peter

Dice

Wizard
I have gone as far as far as setting up my SSH connection (pve) and created the SSH Keypairs (pve Keys).
Just wanted to establish that you did this in the GUI and tested the connection in the GUI, and it was successful?
Are you using root user on both sides?

in theory should give me a list of the VM's that I wish to select for replication
I believe this is asking for too much. You might be able to see the same datastructure as in your local (obviously - needs to be ZFS) datastore on the PM host.

May sound silly - can you confirm that you are having a valid ZFS pool setup for datastore on the PM host?
I've seen people mistake that before.

peterbatah

Cadet
Just wanted to establish that you did this in the GUI and tested the connection in the GUI, and it was successful?
Are you using root user on both sides?

I believe this is asking for too much. You might be able to see the same datastructure as in your local (obviously - needs to be ZFS) datastore on the PM host.

May sound silly - can you confirm that you are having a valid ZFS pool setup for datastore on the PM host?
I've seen people mistake that before.
Hello @Dice Thank you so much for the prompt response. I really appreciate it. Let me tackle one thing at at a time. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes the entire setup is done entirely in the GUI
How do I test the SSH Connection in the GUI?
Yes I am using root on both ends
I should have mentioned that my VM's and CT's reside on an external drive (local-ext) as can be seen in the attached screenshot

Attachments

• Shell - TN - PM.jpg
    Shell - TN - PM.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Create ZFS - No disks unused.jpg
    Create ZFS - No disks unused.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 114
  • PM -Storage.jpg
    PM -Storage.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

peterbatah

Cadet
Hello @Dice Thank you so much for the prompt response. I really appreciate it. Let me tackle one thing at at a time. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes the entire setup is done entirely in the GUI
How do I test the SSH Connection in the GUI?
Yes I am using root on both ends
I should have mentioned that my VM's and CT's reside on an external drive (local-ext) as can be seen in the attached screenshot

UPDATE: After going over everything with a fine tooth comb so-to-speak I discovered that the I had entered the IP in the public key incorrectly. I also added and created a ZFS drive.

I am now able to see the contents of the ZFS drive but am receiving an error message everytime I attempt to run the Replication Task. Oh well, I guess that it is back to the drawing board.

Dice

Wizard
I am now able to see the contents of the ZFS drive but am receiving an error message everytime I attempt to run the Replication Task. Oh well, I guess that it is back to the drawing board.
This is progress. But i dont get how.
Because the proxmox screen shows an ext4 volume, which clearly would not work.
Is there a zfs volume? Where?

I think better lool into proxmox backup server? It runs fine virtualized too. I dont recall if it accepts nfs shares directly or if you need to Give it nfs mounts locally on its vm, and create datastores on the mounted folders. /mnt/datastore01 for example.
It will bring together truenas storage with proxmox ease of use/pruning od individual vm's.

Sorry short and rough text, im out of office and on my Phone..

peterbatah

Cadet

I think better lool into proxmox backup server? It runs fine virtualized too. I dont recall if it accepts nfs shares directly or if you need to Give it nfs mounts locally on its vm, and create datastores on the mounted folders. /mnt/datastore01 for example.
It will bring together truenas storage with proxmox ease of use/pruning od individual vm's.

Thank you for chiming in @Dice. In my last reply I mentioned that I added a drive to Proxmox VE and used that disk to Create ZFS. I may take you up on the suggestion to give Proxmox Backup Server a go. Have a wonderful day

Last edited:

Dice

Wizard
The way proxmox helps (ie does very little) with zfs maintenance and snapshot management, the validity of connecting PM and TN is IMO rather backwards. Granted what comes out of the GUIs, it lends one to replicate a precious little dataset to also live on the PMhost. Not the orher way around as you were hoping to. (Good Snapshot management is missing from proxmox and is essential in this context).

peterbatah

Cadet
The way proxmox helps (ie does very little) with zfs maintenance and snapshot management, the validity of connecting PM and TN is IMO rather backwards. Granted what comes out of the GUIs, it lends one to replicate a precious little dataset to also live on the PMhost. Not the orher way around as you were hoping to. (Good Snapshot management is missing from proxmox and is essential in this context).
Thank you again for your response @Dice At the end of the day I think that it is not worth the time and effort that I / we have put into it. Have a wonderful day. Peter