BUILD Proposed 10x6TB Home Server Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3IVI0

Dabbler
Arrrggghhhh!! I was afraid of that...

Well, here is another build, Rev 4, that corrects for RAM:

Case: Supermicro CSE-747TG-R1400B-SQ Chassis (and this backplane to add 4 extra drives)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRH-CF
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3
RAM: Crucial 128GB kit (32GBx4) DDR4 PC4-17000 ECC CT6228640
Boot Media: SUPERMICRO SSD-DM016-PHI SATA DOM (the mobo has 2 super DOM ports, so I might as well just get two of these and do boot mirroring)
HDD: WD Red WD60EFRX 6TB x 12

I basically just updated the components given in the Hardware Recommendations thread, as some of them are not available on Newegg or Amazon at the moment. It also costs a king's ransom. I will have to save money for a long time to be able to do this, but, I meant for this to be a long term investment, and I have always believed it is generally cheaper in the long run if you spend money up front to get quality. The only possible bottleneck I can see with this case is that it will only hold a maximum of 13 drives. However, I am sure hard drive capacity will increase in the future, so I can overcome that limitation by upgrading. I actually did look into getting one of the rackmount chassis, but the cost was going to be (more) punitive just getting what you need to mount it properly. I really need the standalone solution offered by a tower. Now, this case was not listed as a recommended case for this motherboard, but I can't think how it wouldn't fit, since it is an ATX motherboard and this is an ATX/E-ATX case. As always, if there are any potential caveats I have overlooked, please feel free to chime in.

Pheran

Patron
If you're going to wait anyway, just wait until Skylake Xeon systems are available, which will support 64GB on a uniprocessor board, and be a lot cheaper than what you are proposing now. The Xeon E3 v5 processors are just beginning to come out. Hopefully SuperMicro will make an LGA1151 followup to the X10SL7-F.

Last edited:

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
The Supemicro x10sdv-4c-tln2f motherboard/CPU combo is less than $500 and supports up to 128GB of ECC RDimms. It's 4core Xeon-D and just released in August. Not sure if it fits your needs exactly, but that's the one I'm going to buy when it comes back in stock.

n3IVI0

Dabbler
I am planning this thing for some time in the next year. I have a server I am using, but it's running out of space. So, I am planning to upgrade to something bigger and with more space for future growth. Now I know what the upper limit is, and can experiment with different scenarios until I find a suitable price point. My goal is to create a storage environment with room to grow should my needs change in the future. Now that I have a rough idea of what will be needed, I can watch as the prices fluctuate, try to get better deals on the components, and wait to see how the technology develops.

thedukeo8

Cadet
Everything I've had read so far says that Xeon Skylake won't be available until 2017. I'm willing to wait for that, but I'd like to build server sooner. Does anyone know if there is a board that will fit socket size now, for when the Skylake Xeon is released?

Pheran

Patron
Everything I've had read so far says that Xeon Skylake won't be available until 2017. I'm willing to wait for that, but I'd like to build server sooner. Does anyone know if there is a board that will fit socket size now, for when the Skylake Xeon is released?

I don't know where you are getting this, from what I've seen they are coming out in the next few months (Q4 2015). In fact the mobile Skylake Xeons are coming out near the end of this month. The Xeon E3s should be coming with a new chipset (Greenlow) so you'll need to wait for that before motherboard vendors can produce boards for these.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's probably Skylake-EP, meaning Xeon E5 v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.