Problems with ZeroTier .... HELP!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
When do I create this bridge1 it also creates VNET1?
As I said, you need help from somebody who knows about adding a second interface/vnet in a jail... I don't know how to do that at the moment and have not had the time to work it out.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so I was feeling kind and a little curious if it could be done... and it can.

zerotier jail.png

You edit your jail (need to stop it first) to add the vnet1:bridge1 in network settings.

You need to make sure that you have unique mac addresses specified for vnet1 (I copied the ones already there for vnet0 and incremented each by 1)

You should have created bridge1 already before doing that.

I couldn't find an easy way to get the bridge1/zerotier adapter in the jail to pick up a DHCP address, so I gave it one in the range of the zerotier network... I guess this would make sense anyway if you want your zerotier clients to be able to get to your services reliably.

I used this command (inside the jail) for that

ifconfig epair1b inet 10.100.100.116 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.100.255.255

I was then able to test from another zerotier client (my phone) that it could ping the jail by IP (and also the FreeNAS host by IP) on their zerotier addresses, both when connected on my local WiFi and also when on 4G. It seemed to take a little while to find the route again when I switched between WiFi and 4G, so don't be surprised if it takes a bit to change.

NOTE: I had ticked the box on the FreeNAS client on the zerotier site to "Allow Ethernet Bridging". I am not sure if this is actually needed, but I think it is (I didn't spend any time testing without it set).

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's probably worth saying a few things that you're going to notice and need to deal with:

First, as per @danb35 comment, every time you restart your server, you will need to re-aithorize the FreeNAS zerotier client on the zerotier site as the identifier changes.

Second, the work to start the zerotier-one daemon, join the network with zerotier-cli, create the bridge and assign IP addresses inside the jail will need doing again every time too, unless you script it all and add tunables where appropriate.

I don't have a lot of interest in doing that for you, but it's good to know it's all theoretically possible if somebody ever wants to use it.

Last edited:

Itay1778

Patron
OK, so I was feeling kind and a little curious if it could be done... and it can.

View attachment 30218

You edit your jail (need to stop it first) to add the vnet1:bridge1 in network settings.

You need to make sure that you have unique mac addresses specified for vnet1 (I copied the ones already there for vnet0 and incremented each by 1)

You should have created bridge1 already before doing that.

I couldn't find an easy way to get the bridge1/zerotier adapter in the jail to pick up a DHCP address, so I gave it one in the range of the zerotier network... I guess this would make sense anyway if you want your zerotier clients to be able to get to your services reliably.

I used this command (inside the jail) for that

ifconfig epair1b inet 10.100.100.116 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.100.255.255

I was then able to test from another zerotier client (my phone) that it could ping the jail by IP (and also the FreeNAS host by IP) on their zerotier addresses, both when connected on my local WiFi and also when on 4G. It seemed to take a little while to find the route again when I switched between WiFi and 4G, so don't be surprised if it takes a bit to change.

NOTE: I had ticked the box on the FreeNAS client on the zerotier site to "Allow Ethernet Bridging". I am not sure if this is actually needed, but I think it is (I didn't spend any time testing without it set).
Ok thanks for checking !!! appreciate it a lot!!
I currently can not check on my FreeNAS but when I will be able to check I will check it out.
But I do not think there's a reason it will not work!

Thank you very much for your help and appreciate it very much!