Problems with Dell R710

Status
Not open for further replies.

hai

Dabbler
Hi all!

I did some testing on a Dell 2950. I learned that this is not the best choice for FreeNAS: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/spontaneous-reboots-freenas-9-2-0-release-x64-ab098f4.17757/

Anyway, now I have a R710 with 6x4TB (all RAID0 as the controller does not know JBOD), 24 GB RAM and a Kingston DataTraveler SE9 (16 GB).

Problem is that after a few days the NAS stops to work. Well, partly. Just now ssh and the GUI were not running but NFS was still fine. Before that NFS was faulty but ssh was still running. When I tried to start either it gave me seg faults. After a reboot I ended up with an unusable state. I suspect that USB + R710 is the culprit. Btw, I tried a SanDisk Ultra (16 GB as well) or changed Front and Rear USB.

I have another FreeNAS on a Dell machine which is happily running for half a year now on two RAID1 hard disks. No seg faults, no problems at all.

I think that the biggest disadvantage of FreeNAS is that you more or less have to run it from a stick. Imho the best solution would be root on zfs, which is available for FreeBSD for quite a while.

Is there anybody having those issues with Dell HW as well? I'll install it on a USB hard disk next to rule out flash media.

Cheers,

hai

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think that the biggest disadvantage of FreeNAS is that you more or less have to run it from a stick. Imho the best solution would be root on zfs, which is available for FreeBSD for quite a while.
You aren't required to run it from a disk.

As for zfs as root... 9.3 is zfs as root. ;)

hai

Dabbler
Yep, I can run it from a disk instead of a stick, but then I waste a HD slot and most of the hard disk's space.

Oh, that's good news! I missed to have a look at the new features of 9.3.

Thanks!

hai

Status
Not open for further replies.