Problem SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

zykerx

Cadet
Hi everyone ,

i build my own NAS , with a little budget , and i bought this motherboard : MSI AM1I

I've realized that there is only 2 SATA III ports , but i have 3 HDD . So i decided to buy a PCI controller SATA III.

My problem is , if i don't use PCI FreeNAS can run but if i plug the PCI with the third disk the installation of FreeNAS is impossible.

I looked in the BIOS , i can find SATA 1 , SATA 2 and the third disk but without the mention "SATA" of course . So for me the motherboard detects PCI , but it doesn't work

If someone can help me , i will be very grateful ! So sorry for my English , i hope you understand me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
Hi everyone ,

i build my own nas , with a little budget , and i bought this motherboard : MSI AM1I

I've realized that there is only 2 SATA III ports , but i have 3 HDD . So i decided to buy , a PCI controler SATA III .

My problem is , if i don't use PCI freeNAS can run but if i plug the PCI with the third disk the installation of freeNAS is impossible .

I looked in the BIOS , i can find SATA 1 , SATA 2 and the third disk but without the mention "SATA" of course . So for me the motherboard detects PCI , but it doesn't work

If someone can help me , i will be very greatful ! So sorry for my english , i hope you understand me ;)

Does the motherboard have SATA2 ports? If so, use those. Sata2 is good for 300MB/s and there are not many HDs which can even approach that speed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What PCI Sata controller? I have never seen one that actually works. Best to get a hba but at that point you should just buy a good motherboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer

Stux

MVP
From the product page, it doesn't look like it. Seems like a very poor choice of motherboard for a NAS.

So, if you want to insist on using this board... then you should buy a real HBA.

But this board

1) doesn't use ECC
2) uses AMD
3) only has two sata ports
4) only has one pci slot, which is only PCIe2.0 4x. There is a mini-pcie slot too.
5) only has two dimm slots. Does support 32GB... but only when using 16GB DDR3 dimms...
6) has a RealTek nic.

Seriously, this ticks all the wrong boxes.

zykerx

Cadet
Thanks for all your responses !

I will buy a new motherboard and cpu haha ..

Status
Not open for further replies.