Adding SATA Controller Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasnicholas

Cadet
First, I'm a newb. I barely got this server working to begin with and self taught myself just the basics to get it up and running.

Installed IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card and the card seems to be working. I have 4 of my current 6 drives plugged into it. When I try to add a 7th drive, I get stuck at POST screen. I tried ghetto hooking one of the drives to another PSU and still did not get past POST. How I see it, 1 of 2 things might be going wrong.

1: In my BIOS I don't see the card SATA slots, so I'm thinking it might be a BIOS issue that maybe an update might fix?
or
2:Ghetto rigging my PC's PSU to the HDD didn't work and I need a bigger PSU, which I'd have to take out of my current PC to test and I'd rather not do that (Wires are all hidden/nicely tucked away and shrink wrapped)

Or something else I'm missing...thoughts? I'd rather not flash my BIOS if its not going to work

Link to my BIOS photo
Mobo: ASROCK H87M Pro4
PSU: 300w
Memory:HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220
HDD: 4x STBD3000100 3x H3IKNAS40003272SN
Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355

Last edited by a moderator:

dasnicholas

Cadet
Ended up swapping PSU's, so thats not it. If I have anything over 6 drives, it gets stuck at post. Ideas?

styno

Patron
Is it always the same drive you are trying to add as a 7th drive?

dasnicholas

Cadet
I think I figured it out. I needed to initialize the disk on another computer...*smacks forehead*

Mr_N

Patron
I'd urge a better SATA PCI card! something in the LSI 9211-8i family... you shouldnt need to do anything with new drives other than plug them in, and then burn them in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.