Problem in adding a second nic.

huseyinozsut

Dabbler
Hi,

I nearly solved all my problems. I created a VM for HAOS. Inside HAOS I installed Motioneye. So my truenas server is also my Homeassistant host and my ip cam recorder. Then I managed to install KODI in another VM, and that VM has it's own GPU. So my truenas server is also my mediacenter and iptv center.

Now I wanted to add a 2.5gbit nic. When using Truenas Core, I used my Realtek 8125 nics with adding two parameters to tunables. So I thought, on Truenas Scale, there won't be any problem. But as allways, there is. :grin:

The problem is:
When I add the second nic, it does not show up on GUI. It shows up on lspci command output. When I disable the onboard nic and connect my ethernet cable (which is going to my router) to 8125 nic works normally. So I think this is not a driver issue.

I am so close to achieve all of my goals. So if you can help me, I'll be more than happy.

I know that Realtek and 8125 is not good. But I was able to use it in truenas core and that was enough for me. Finding another 2.5gbit nic would be very hard in my country.

My onboard nic is a qualcomm atheros by the way.

huseyinozsut

Dabbler
Ok, after some thinkering, I solved the problem. I was connecting my nic to 16x pci-e lane of my motherboard. I knew that that lane is working. I was using my GPU in there. But, no! I guess there is some kind of a power problem in this 16x pci-e lane. GPU works fine (since it is 16x and has lots more ground and voltage pins); but any pci-e 2x does not work nice. The seem to work; but when needed, they don't. It is confusing.

I will dig deeper, but definately it is not Truenas scale related.

huseyinozsut

Dabbler
OK. I have solved my problem using a pci-e 2x riser cable. My mainboard have 2 x pci-e 16x and 1 x pci-e 2x. My GPU is thick and lockes one of my pci-e 2x ports if I use it on the upper pci-e 16x lane. So I was using it on the bottom lane (I needed the other two pci-e lanes)

I don't know why, but when I use GPU in bottom lane and use a pci-e 2x card in upper pci-e 16x lane, pci-e 2x cards does not work. They show up; but does not work...

But then, I used my old pci-e riser cable. On top of that my GPU fits (with a little bit bending though). So I moved my gpu to upper pci-e 16x lane. I used my pci-e to sata card on riser cable and lastly I used my 2.5gbe nic on the bottom pci-e 16x lane. Now everything works.

--------------------

This can be an pci-e generation issue. Pci-e 16x lanes probably share something and the card that is connected to upper pci-e lane determines the pci-e generation. Since a nic or an old pci-e to sata card is not gen3, bottom pci-e lane also drops to gen2 probably. And that causes issues in means of bandwith maybe? I am not sure. But this was an interesting quirk. Because without GPU, everything works with upper pci-e lane also. Anyway, I solved the problem.

For other people experiencing problems with nics showing up with lpsci command; but not working, changing pci-e lane would do the trick.