Prevent AD directory disabling if unavailable at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eds89

Contributor
Hi,

I have an environment whereby my active directory domain controller is a VM, stored on storage that FreeNAS hosts.
As such, the domain controller is not available when FreeNAS boots.

I can see that during the boot process, FreeNAS is trying several times to bind to AD, and obviously failing.
Once the postinit is completed, FreeNAS is left with directory services disabled, and I have to manually go in and enable the service once the domain controller starts.

I have two questions really;
1. Does directory bind hold up the boot process of FreeNAS? I.e. can the boot attempts to bind be given more retries or longer timeouts without preventing FreeNAS from completing it's init phase?
2. Is there a way to have FreeNAS boot and keep the directory service enabled, even if it is unavailable during boot? My timeout and retry settings would therefore cover the startup time of my domain controller.

I'm looking at the above two options, as it will save me adding ANOTHER startup script to manually restart the AD service once the DC is booted.

Thanks
Eds

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I have an environment whereby my active directory domain controller is a VM, stored on storage that FreeNAS hosts.
As such, the domain controller is not available when FreeNAS boots.

I can see that during the boot process, FreeNAS is trying several times to bind to AD, and obviously failing.
Once the postinit is completed, FreeNAS is left with directory services disabled, and I have to manually go in and enable the service once the domain controller starts.

I have two questions really;
1. Does directory bind hold up the boot process of FreeNAS? I.e. can the boot attempts to bind be given more retries or longer timeouts without preventing FreeNAS from completing it's init phase?
2. Is there a way to have FreeNAS boot and keep the directory service enabled, even if it is unavailable during boot? My timeout and retry settings would therefore cover the startup time of my domain controller.

I'm looking at the above two options, as it will save me adding ANOTHER startup script to manually restart the AD service once the DC is booted.

Thanks
Eds

I wrote a fix for this that will be in 11.2.
https://github.com/freenas/freenas/commit/36284f59957f5f9956c4e08b30c91e6b92cf32df

You can feel free to apply the changes to your FreeNAS server if you're on 11.1-U6. Make sure you back up your boot environment first, of course.

Eds89

Contributor
That's awesome news! Thanks for letting me know.

Assume no ETA on 11.2 yet given 11.1 U6 was only just released?
I'll probably just hang fire and wait for 11.2, as I don't reboot that often so can wait :)

Cheers
Eds

Status
Not open for further replies.