Possible to upgrade Kernel?

cap

Contributor
Yes, 5.10 maybe too old to run the newest Intel CPUs. (Or for that matter, newer AMD CPUs! Or ARM CPUs too!).
Do you have any idea how it looks like with the 4000 and 5000 APUs, e.g. Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G ?

Arwen

MVP
Do you have any idea how it looks like with the 4000 and 5000 APUs, e.g. Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G ?
I am using Linux kernel 5.10.74 on my newish HP ProBook 445 G7 laptop which has the AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U. Seems to work fine. It's taking me a long time to trim down the kernel to only what I need.

No knowledge of the 5000 series.

Reactions: cap

jthat

Cadet
I was recently testing a Mac Mini 2018, and I wanted to try out a newer kernel to diagnose an issue I was experiencing with slow booting (turns out it wasn't the kernel per se, but actually the serial console, and disabling that fixed the problem). I made some notes on how I did it for those interested.

Note I didn't rebuild anything in userspace (zfs, openzfs, libzfs5, samba, py-libzfs, etc), as I was trying SCALE-v5.15-stable on a cloned dataset from the release/22.02 branch, and I assume that's a reasonably safe thing to do. However, there may be some other important reason why @anodos said to do it.

⚠️ This was only for testing purposes and I take no responsibilty if it hoses your system and eats all your data. ⚠️

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I was recently testing a Mac Mini 2018, and I wanted to try out a newer kernel to diagnose an issue I was experiencing with slow booting (turns out it wasn't the kernel per se, but actually the serial console, and disabling that fixed the problem). I made some notes on how I did it for those interested.

Note I didn't rebuild anything in userspace (zfs, openzfs, libzfs5, samba, py-libzfs, etc), as I was trying SCALE-v5.15-stable on a cloned dataset from the release/22.02 branch, and I assume that's a reasonably safe thing to do. However, there may be some other important reason why @anodos said to do it.

⚠️ This was only for testing purposes and I take no responsibilty if it hoses your system and eats all your data. ⚠️
The BlueFin nightlies have 5.15 kernel. This is a better way of running a newer kernel.

If you're planning to replace kernel in 22.02 please do not file any bug reports about it :)

Glowtape

Dabbler
I hope Bluefin will make it out a little sooner than the current 22.12 version number suggests. Mostly for the platform support improvements (personally over here it's EDAC support of the Ryzen 5x50Gs that came after 5.10), and I guess the KVM work up until then. And a bunch of fixes/improvements to nvmet.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I hope Bluefin will make it out a little sooner than the current 22.12 version number suggests. Mostly for the platform support improvements (personally over here it's EDAC support of the Ryzen 5x50Gs that came after 5.10), and I guess the KVM work up until then. And a bunch of fixes/improvements to nvmet.
Bluefin beta should be released fairly soon.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I somehow missed this thread when it started, but still wanted to add some random thoughts.

In addition to the various details that have already been pointed out, it serves as an interesting lesson about how different people perceive the same market. Also, it is important to note, that in addition to technical reasons, "political" aspects play a huge role.

Installing a more recent Linux kernel because it support things like a newer desktop CPU better, or an Ethernet type that is never found on server boards/NICs, is an interesting aspect. I would certainly be put off, would iX Systems seriously look into this direction. For me things could sometime be even more conservative, to be honest.

We should also not forget what kind of impact we are looking at, if a truly mission critical storage system goes down. I was once told a story about one of central SAN systems of Germany's railway company going for two days, because a vendor technician installed a pre-production CPU by mistake. For several days no freight trains could be run. That was decades ago and today the impact would be much worse.

My $0.02

nabsltd

Contributor
5.10 is too old to effectively run current gen Intel CPUs (i.e Alder lake) which is what a lot of folks will be asking for to be supported.
Until server class motherboards for LGA 1200 become more available and DDR5 ECC memory drops in price, I don't see a lot of people asking for support for them.

And, if you aren't running on such hardware, you could switch to some other NAS system that doesn't care so much about rock solid performance and data integrity.

Glowtape

Dabbler
If the intent is to recruit testing capacity from the pool of prosumers, as implied earlier, it'd be sure nice to meet them half-way.