First copy

ikariwths

Cadet
Hello, I will use an amd 5700g with 16g memory and a single toshiba 16tb disk, in the old unraid server I used to connect the servers disk to the computer and do the copy in a linux environment so that I don't have to wait 3-4 days for all this data to be copied,can i do the same with truenas scale?

Community Verified icon

Arwen

MVP
Theoretically yes. I use OpenZFS on my 4 Linux computers, (mini desktop, mini media server, old laptop, new laptop).

You would want to create the pool & datasets on TrueNAS SCALE. Then export the pool. At this point you can import the disk on to any other recent OS that has recentl OpenZFS. Make your copies. When done, export from that computer. And re-import it on the TrueNAS SCALE computer.

Their are gotchas. Like like warnings when importing the pool, that the pool was in use by another computer. (Yep, we know that :smile:. So you override with "-f" option for the import. Normally you would not "force" an import. But, this is an exception that in general is pretty harmless.

Also, don't make any new datasets on the non-TrueNAS computer. That would confuse the TrueNAS software. Making directories and adding files, no problem.

Last, using a single drive pool is not recommended as some of the data integrity features are not available. Thus, you can get data loss on bad blocks. (Though ZFS will tell you the affected files.) And potentially entire pool loss, if the disk quits working.

Their is a not really recommended way to overcome single disks, with block failures. If you enabled "copies=2", then ZFS will write 2 copies of all data blocks for newly written files. Of course this takes up twice as much space... and does not help in the case of total disk failure.

But, if this single disk is your backup, perhaps this is a risk you are willing to take.