Supported methods of using DKMS kernel modules

Camofelix

Dabbler
Hi all,

Part of my usecase for TrueNAS SCALE is consolidation of my various dev boxes. To that end, I was hoping to spin up a GPGPU testing VM within my TrueNAS box. the GPU I'm using is a Navi10 based RX 5600XT. Unfortunately, due to problems in the Si design phase that AMD has since acknowledged, the RX5600xt is unable to properly handle GPU resets in a clean way for VMs.

In the spirit of OpenSource, Gnif (AKA Geoffrey McRae) created this repository as an extension of PCI quirks to deal with the issue.

Repository here: https://github.com/gnif/vendor-reset

Before I do a deep dive, I wanted to ask the community if there's any supported mechanism for adding DKMS modules to a TrueNAS SCALE deployment.

If there isn't, could someone confirm that the following options are enabled as standard (AKA are considered LTS enabled flags?) within the Debian kernel used by SCALE?
CONFIG_FTRACE=y
CONFIG_KPROBES=y
CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL=y
CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER=y

Standard method of using checking kernel flags (`cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip > running.config` and co) weren't enabled.

Had to use the `cat /lib/modules/5.15.107+truenas/build/.config | less` methods, but was able to confirm that the truenas 5.15.107+truenas kernel does ship with the above enabled.

If I have to do this via homebrew over the shell so be it, but would prefer an atleast partially supported method.

Cheers and have a wonderful day,

Felix

Camofelix

Dabbler
Hi, just popping in again to see if anyone here is aware/would know where to point me to?

Thanks,

Felix

samarium

Contributor
I agree that not having proc config.gz is irritating. Seems like you have found out what you can easily find out. Can't see anything about the process that TNS would regard as supported. Might work yes, supported no, a bit like the kernel and taint.

I have noticed the dkms setup for the Nvidia modules and wondered if it was generally useful, but don't have a use case myself, so will be interested if it works for you.