possible threat and data lost via offical ixsystems plugin syncthing

gammaburst

Cadet
Hi all,
I'm installed the official syncthing plugin via truenas gui two days ago.
I was trying to fix an issue with the syncthing management page, when I stumbled upon this.
I did not configure any syncthing clients. I only changed the syncthing webgui from http to https and activated password login.
Please can somebody double check my steps and give me advice what to do now?
If I'm right, all people using this plugin are in danger to copy their data illegal!

Here my steps to reproduce:
- install and start syncthing plugin, open a shell inside the jail and use: netstat -p tcp
area__taz_210104004016.png

as you can see here, there is an ongoing connection to IPv4 85.195.234.18 at port 22067 (dynamic syncthing port)

I connected via browser to the IP and got this
area__taz_210104004512.png

about the provider I got this information

route: 85.195.224.0/19
descr: Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
descr: St. Georgen-Strasse 70
descr: CH-8400 Winterthur
origin: AS13030
mnt-by: MNT-INIT7-NOC
member-of: RS-INIT7
created: 2014-12-12T14:49:39Z
last-modified: 2014-12-12T14:49:39Z

I do not know the provider, the NAS behind the IP and did not configure the plugin to do so!
Hopefully I'm completely wrong, but it looks like a backdoor in the official plugin to steal data. o_O

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I took a quick look here, and it does appear that syncthing makes a bunch of outgoing TCP connections. Syncthing does appear to support talking to a bunch of relay/discovery servers by design though, so this is somewhat expected IMHO:

For kicks I did audit the plugin sources, its super small, so not much to look at. Nothing obviously wrong there, its just running stock syncthing. Suggest maybe posting something to their forums / help to confirm this behavior is expected?

gammaburst

Cadet
Thank you for your investigation. I will follow your advice and asked the syncthing forum, I'm eager to hear their answer.
I'll keep you informed.

IMHO
Generally I would not expect a hack which is so simple to figure out, on the other hand it's also not nice to establish this kind of connections and these exposed NAS in the internet, should not really be an challenge to hack for ambitious pros, which will lead to an attack vector in everybodies infrastructure running syncthing.