SOLVED Pool went OFFLINE after installing 10GbE PCI-E NIC

James

Dabbler
Hello, I have been running TrueNas via Proxmox for a while without any issues but encountered a significant problem after installing the Supermicro AOC-STG-i2T add-on network adapter. Upon restarting, TrueNas pool went offline {Data not available / Export or Disconnect warnings]. I tried a couple of commands that I found on this forum to import and check the status of my pool, but nothing worked, as the pool itself was unavailable. Further, none of the hard drives were visible.

I just took a chance by removing the adapter, and after a reboot, TrueNas automatically restored my pool. This would have been a nightmare otherwise. So that being the background, could anyone help me understand what went wrong? The adapter is compatible and was recommended by Supermicro for my motherboard X11SCL-F. The BIOS and SAS/HBA adapter (IT-Mode) are all up-to-date. I would really appreciate some guidance and suggestions on how to install/configure the adapter for seamless integration.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
could anyone help me understand what went wrong?
You haven't shared all the details of your system (see forum rules link above), so any help given will be based on guesses.

I would suggest that you may be running into an issue of PCI generation difference... maybe connecting a PCIe v2.1 device (that NIC) may somehow interfere with your HBA (which as far as I know is PCIe v3).

James

Dabbler
You haven't shared all the details of your system (see forum rules link above), so any help given will be based on guesses.

I would suggest that you may be running into an issue of PCI generation difference... maybe connecting a PCIe v2.1 device (that NIC) may somehow interfere with your HBA (which as far as I know is PCIe v3).
Thanks for your help, sretalla. Please see the details below.

• Motherboard make and model - Supermicro X11SCL-F
  • CPU make and model - Xeon E-2146G
  • RAM quantity - 90GB
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives - 4x
  • Hard disk controllers - AOC-S3008L-L8e (Low profile Gen 3 PCI-E x8)
  • Network cards - AOC-STG-i2T / Rev. 2.01 / PCI-E x8 2.1 (2.5GT/s or 5GT/s) interface
As you guessed, the network card is PCIE 2.1 and HBA is a gen 3 device. Is this combination not possible? I thought PCIE cards are backward compatible and can use any slot. I don't think Supermicro has a same generation network adapter available.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
As you guessed, the network card is PCIE 2.1 and HBA is a gen 3 device. Is this combination not possible? I thought PCIE cards are backward compatible and can use any slot. I don't think Supermicro has a same generation network adapter available.
To the best of my knowledge, PCIe is indeed backwards compatible and can use any slot as long as the physical size fits. I currently have an x4 card plugged into an x16 slot just because that's the only slot I have available and it works fine.

James

Dabbler
To the best of my knowledge, PCIe is indeed backwards compatible and can use any slot as long as the physical size fits. I currently have an x4 card plugged into an x16 slot just because that's the only slot I have available and it works fine.
Thanks, Whatteva. My motherboard has two x8 slots. I had used one of the slots for the HBA adapter, and I recently installed the network adapter on the second x8 slot. I still have one x16 slot available. I don't know why my pool went offline after the installation and restored it automatically after removing the adapter. It would be great to get 10G NIC working on TrueNas.

Whattteva

Wizard
Thanks, Whatteva. My motherboard has two x8 slots. I had used one of the slots for the HBA adapter, and I recently installed the network adapter on the second x8 slot. I still have one x16 slot available. I don't know why my pool went offline after the installation and restored it automatically after removing the adapter. It would be great to get 10G NIC working on TrueNas.
Anything suspicious in /var/log/messages ?

Whattteva

Wizard
You shouldn't need your hard drives for the logs as I'm pretty sure it's stored on the boot pool, which is separate from your data pool.

James

Dabbler
You shouldn't need your hard drives for the logs as I'm pretty sure it's stored on the boot pool, which is separate from your data pool.
Thanks for your suggestion, is there anything particular in the logs I should be looking for? Most of them are related to some smtp outlook or gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "update-master.ixsystems.com IN AAAA",got type "A" type messages. I did find some error messages, which also mentioned "Intel X540" - let me know if this is helpful.

ix0: allocated for 3 rx queues
kernel: ix0: Ethernet address: ab:2f:6c:a8:43:91
ix0: PCI Express Bus: Speed 5.0GT/s Width x4
ix0: Option ROM V1-b1681-p0 eTrack 0x80000628 PHY FW V286
ix0: Error 2 setting up SR-IOV
ix1: <Intel(R) X540-AT2> mem 0xfd200000-0xfd3fffff,0xfd804000-0xfd807fff irq 11 at device 16.1 on pci0

James

Dabbler

Hi, any thoughts?

sretalla