SOLVED Pool Unhealty... Who do I believe?

kartracer

Dabbler
I have a pool that shows ONLINE (Unhealthy) RED X on the POOL Screen. However, the Dashboard shows ONLINE with a Green check mark. Who is right? I performed a Scrub against the pool and it showed 8 errors. I checked all connections and all are fine. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The scrub status is definitive.

kartracer

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to find out what the errors are and from which disk? I have a MIRROR configuration.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
zpool status -v

kartracer

Dabbler
zpool status -v shows there are 8 files with permanent errors. I will try and delete/replace them and see what happens. Thanks.

Samuel Tai

Please show the output of the zpool status -v here. Some of those files may not be files; they may be metadata.

kartracer

Dabbler
They are mp4 and mkv files. I have already looked into couple of them and both get fatal error trying to play them mid way.

Samuel Tai

If any "files" look like this:

<name of file>:<hex code>

That's not the file that's corrupt, that file system metadata. Just replacing the file won't fix the metadata.

kartracer

Dabbler
Thank you for letting me know. I just checked again and none of the files have a :<hex code> following it. I have deleted the files and am now running another scrub to see if the results will be different.

Arwen

MVP
Note that ZFS was designed with redundant metadata by default:
rpool redundant_metadata all default
This means on a single disk pool, their are 2 copies of metadata, (and more copies of critical metadata). It can be changed, both as above and using "copies=2", (or 3).

On a simple 2 disk mirror pool, this would mean each disk has 2 copies of metadata, for a total of 4 copies.

ZFS designers took the approach that metadata is more critical that data. Meaning loss of a directory blocks taking out an entire huge file is unreasonable.