Pool offline afte several reboots

fdigrego

Cadet
Due service energy issues i have 2/3 reboots, counsecuence pool is offline now. I dont know what to do to get online again.

1696890969399.png

if i follow this steps to get back disks online as follow

1696891165680.png

i see this option that offer to wipe actual data

1696891323085.png

in the next image my disks

1696891488831.png

and finally, everithing is running on hp proliant ml10 gen 9 on proxmox, as follows the disk conf

1696891611853.png

hope this can help to get suppert. thanks in advance!

Whattteva

Wizard
How are these drives presented to the VM? And what disk controller are you using?

Arwen

MVP
What does the following command show?
zpool import

fdigrego

Cadet
Whatteva, in proxmox the drivers and controller are as follow:
1696931440103.png

Arwen, that command show this:
1696931595251.png

im newbie n this matter and will apreciate a lot any help (i have many info collected among time in this pc).

I have similar issue days ago, but i can finally get drivers back online (exportin/importing) zpool. you see in my first post, image disks related show "homeNAS(exported)", im not sure what does mean that.

Thanks for you support!

fdigrego

Cadet
More data, i see the next alert messages:
1696932600867.png

and i see this outputs on several commands (zppol statux, import and passing -f param):

1696932746206.png

NugentS

MVP
Get a UPS?
Not that that helps with your current problem

Arwen

MVP
It appears you lost your pool.

TrueNAS & ZFS require very specific setup for reliability. ZFS was designed to have direct access to the disks. Using any virtualization of the disks, like you did, can cause severe corruption.

ZFS wants it's disk writes to be performed in exactly the order they were sent. Hardware RAID controllers or VM software may not do so, causing a pointer to what ZFS thinks is good data, when it is corrupt data. Generally this out of order writes does no harm. But, on the rare occasion, like with a power fail, that can go out the window.

Note that ZFS was specifically written to handle un-expected power fails. Even thousands, without data loss or pool corruption. (Except of course, any write in progress during the power fail.) However, out of order writes is the killer of pools, when combined with power fails at the same time.

The correct method to virtualize disks, is to pass the entire disk controller that has the disks attached. Then TrueNAS can see and perform work directly on the disks as ZFS wants. See this;

Where you go from here, might be backups, extreme pool recovery techniques or a recovery service.

Others might have more suggestions, or help with the extreme pool recovery methods.

Whattteva

Wizard
Whatteva, in proxmox the drivers and controller are as follow:
View attachment 71051
Well then, that's your issue.
You do NOT want to use virtualized or individual disks. Here's how my VM on Proxmox looks like.

1696946475063.png

Notice that there is only one disk (the boot drive). And that PCI Device at the bottom there is a directly passed through HBA with all the disks, so Proxmox do not even see the disks. You need to read the resource that Arwen posted. Fail to follow those guidelines at your own peril, as you are kinda' finding out the hard way now.

fdigrego

Cadet
Thanks for your support, appears I will lean in the hard way. I will fíx it and take in account those steps. Probably this week end I wiĺl wipe disks and start again. Love if any way to save the info stored in those disks. Thanks again.