Pool has changed from Dataset to File System TYPE after deleting jails - TrueNAS-12.0-U6

mysticpete

Contributor
****** NAS-112899 Bug Report *******
Hi Team

I hope someone can help in identifying which logs I should look at for this issue:

I deleted 3 jails and found that all my storage has now changed to File System in the Type field, not sure what's going on here?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't have an old one on hand to check, but as far as I recall, it was always Filesystem.

A dataset is a filesystem anyway, so there's nothing to be afraid of.

mysticpete

Contributor
I don't have an old one on hand to check, but as far as I recall, it was always Filesystem.

A dataset is a filesystem anyway, so there's nothing to be afraid of.
Datasets have a more in depth GUI for configuration of the store and will show as a dataset in the Type column.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Again, not in my experience (as I remember it).

I also see Filesystem as the type in my U5 and U6 systems (as I think has always been so) and the 3 dots menus are shown like this for them...

1634568888598.png

I don't know what you think you are/were getting in addition to that. Let me know what I'm missing.

mysticpete

Contributor
Again, not in my experience (as I remember it).

I also see Filesystem as the type in my U5 and U6 systems (as I think has always been so) and the 3 dots menus are shown like this for them...

View attachment 50052

I don't know what you think you are/were getting in addition to that. Let me know what I'm missing.

Yes I agree that Datasets are just File systems but the structure they are presented in is different if all storage is set to Dataset, its also easier to manage the ACL.

This also does not address why the system has reverted all the storage to File System Type when it was all set as datasets.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm 99% sure, at least in the current release, that there's nothing the GUI calls a "dataset"--you have either filesystems or volumes. You can "Add Dataset", but it shows up as a "filesystem":
1634601330944.png

But if you've already filed a ticket as you indicate in the OP, I'd guess the devs would be able to give you a definite answer.

Evertb1

Guru
I'm 99% sure, at least in the current release, that there's nothing the GUI calls a "dataset"--you have either filesystems or volumes. You can "Add Dataset", but it shows up as a "filesystem":
Apperently "FILESYSTEM" is the type of dataset. Point is that I can't see how to create any other type of dataset then "FILESYSTEM". I fully understand that this can cause some confusion as this is not mentioned in the TrueNAS manual "Creating a dataset". Your only clues about this in the manual are the pictures.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Point is that I can't see how to create any other type of dataset then "FILESYSTEM".
The other type of dataset is a zvol, which you create using "Add zvol":
1634632926382.png

It then shows up in the list as a "volume":
1634632955395.png

Yes, it looks like there's an inconsistency between the kebab menu and what's shown in the list. Don't know why that is, and I'm not sure it's a bug as such, but it definitely doesn't seem quite right.

Evertb1

Guru
The other type of dataset is a zvol, which you create using "Add zvol":
You are right ofcourse. Somehow I looked different at a Zvol. I never had the need for one.

But you are also right about that inconsistency. I never payed much attention to it but is is there.

Last edited: