Jail's Admin Portal leads to TrueNAS login page

Yannick

Cadet
Hi,

I'm running TrueNAS Core with nextcloud in a jail. It has been working perfectly until I updated using the 'update' button under 'Jails' in TrueNAS's web GUI.
Now, the address listed under 'Admin Portal' for the jail leads to the TrueNAS web GUI login page instead of nextcloud.

I have also installed plex as a plugin to check if it is a nextcloud-problem, but plex's admin portal was not reachable either.

These are the properties of the Jail. While trying to fix the problem, I have changed a few options but always undid them ... hopefully;) I hope screenshots are ok.
1635531150368.png

1635527222838.png

1635527264690.png

1635527297738.png

1635527333140.png

There are also two error messages, for which I wasn't able to find a fitting explanation or solution yet.
This comes up when I start the jail:
Code:
truenas kernel: epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:17:7e:ab:72:0a
truenas kernel: epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:17:7e:ab:72:0b
truenas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
truenas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
truenas kernel: epair0a: changing name to 'vnet0.10'
truenas kernel: lo0: link state changed to UP
truenas 1 2021-10-29T19:11:29.129395+02:00 truenas.local avahi-daemon 27812 - - IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP failed: Can't assign requested address

And this comes up when I stop the jail:
Code:
truenas kernel: vnet0.10: link state changed to DOWN
truenas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to DOWN
truenas kernel: in6_purgeaddr: err=65, destination address delete failed

Both lines are all that is printed to the console in each case.

It also caught my attention that no ip address is listed when I run ifconfig in the jail's console. But I guess there is not supposed to be one since I set it up with NAT. (Unfortuanely, I can't find a way to select text to copy in the Web GUI's shell-window, so here's another screenshot:)
1635528657410.png

Some information about my system:
Hardware:​
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz​
Memory: 16GB DDR3​
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M​
NIC: Realtek 8821CE​
Software:​
TrueNAS-12.0-U6​
nextcloud-plugin version: 22.2.0​
I'd be very grateful for any help towards solving this problem or any of the "sub-problems" and will be happy to provide more information if there is something missing.

Best,
Yannick

CompuLen

Cadet
Hi,

I'm running TrueNAS Core with nextcloud in a jail. It has been working perfectly until I updated using the 'update' button under 'Jails' in TrueNAS's web GUI.
Now, the address listed under 'Admin Portal' for the jail leads to the TrueNAS web GUI login page instead of nextcloud.

I have also installed plex as a plugin to check if it is a nextcloud-problem, but plex's admin portal was not reachable either.

These are the properties of the Jail. While trying to fix the problem, I have changed a few options but always undid them ... hopefully;) I hope screenshots are ok.
View attachment 50340
View attachment 50333
View attachment 50334
View attachment 50335
View attachment 50336

There are also two error messages, for which I wasn't able to find a fitting explanation or solution yet.
This comes up when I start the jail:
Code:
truenas kernel: epair0a: Ethernet address: 02:17:7e:ab:72:0a
truenas kernel: epair0b: Ethernet address: 02:17:7e:ab:72:0b
truenas kernel: epair0a: link state changed to UP
truenas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to UP
truenas kernel: epair0a: changing name to 'vnet0.10'
truenas kernel: lo0: link state changed to UP
truenas 1 2021-10-29T19:11:29.129395+02:00 truenas.local avahi-daemon 27812 - - IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP failed: Can't assign requested address

And this comes up when I stop the jail:
Code:
truenas kernel: vnet0.10: link state changed to DOWN
truenas kernel: epair0b: link state changed to DOWN

Both lines are all that is printed to the console in each case.

It also caught my attention that no ip address is listed when I run ifconfig in the jail's console. But I guess there is not supposed to be one since I set it up with NAT. (Unfortuanely, I can't find a way to select text to copy in the Web GUI's shell-window, so here's another screenshot:)
View attachment 50339

Some information about my system:
Hardware:​
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz​
Memory: 16GB DDR3​
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M​
NIC: Realtek 8821CE​
Software:​
TrueNAS-12.0-U6​
nextcloud-plugin version: 22.2.0​
I'd be very grateful for any help towards solving this problem or any of the "sub-problems" and will be happy to provide more information if there is something missing.

Best,
Yannick

Hi Yannick. Try changing the network settings from NAT to DHCP. If that works, manually set up the network settings to your liking.

Yannick

Cadet
Hi Yannick. Try changing the network settings from NAT to DHCP. If that works, manually set up the network settings to your liking.
Hi CompuLen,

thanks for the advice. I tried setting the jail to DHCP. But when starting the jail, I get a message saying that aquiring the DHCP address has failed.
On the console, I then notice two messages:
Code:
truenas kernel: vnet0.5: promiscuous mode enabled

and
Code:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to figure out whether or not promiscuous mode might affect my situation. Could it?
The second message sounds like it could be the reason that no new address can be assigned, since the old one has not been deleted. Am I guessing right? Either way, how can that be resolved?

CompuLen

Cadet
I'm far from a TrueNAS/FreeBSD expert, so here are just a few "stabs in the dark", in areas I am more familiar with:
  • It looks like you're running TrueNAS in a VM. Does the hypevizor's and the VM's networking setup provide for what you're trying to achieve?
  • Is your jail bound to the correct physical or virtual interface?
  • Can you manually assign an address to the jail in the same subnet as the TrueNAS machine?
  • Does your DHCP server, provided you have one, limit giving out DHCP leases, maybe by MAC address?
  • Do you have any firewall rules in place between the TrueNAS machine and the DHCP server?

Yannick

Cadet
Thanks for the guidance! I see that I was a bit fuzzy in my description, but I can't edit the initial post, unfortunately. TrueNAS is running as the only OS on the machine, so not in a VM. But there is a jail, with nextcloud in it, running on TrueNAS.
Is your jail bound to the correct physical or virtual interface?
After setting it to DHCP instead of NAT, I changed 'vnet_default_interface' from auto to re0, which is the actual NIC of the machine. So that shouldn't be a problem. But that didn't change anything, or at least nothing I was able to spot.
Can you manually assign an address to the jail in the same subnet as the TrueNAS machine?
I can't simply because I don't know the mac address. All methods I found for finding it involved a running jail. But mine won't even run because of the error when trying to aquire the DHCP address.
Does your DHCP server, provided you have one, limit giving out DHCP leases, maybe by MAC address?
I only know that there are only about 10 devices on the network and so far, they have all gotten DHCP addresses without a problem.
Do you have any firewall rules in place between the TrueNAS machine and the DHCP server?
No, not unless there is some default firewall in TrueNAS.

Thanks for the guidance! I see that I was a bit fuzzy in my description, but I can't edit the initial post, unfortunately. TrueNAS is running as the only OS on the machine, so not in a VM. But there is a jail, with nextcloud in it, running on TrueNAS.

After setting it to DHCP instead of NAT, I changed 'vnet_default_interface' from auto to re0, which is the actual NIC of the machine. So that shouldn't be a problem. But that didn't change anything, or at least nothing I was able to spot.

I can't simply because I don't know the mac address. All methods I found for finding it involved a running jail. But mine won't even run because of the error when trying to aquire the DHCP address.

I only know that there are only about 10 devices on the network and so far, they have all gotten DHCP addresses without a problem.

No, not unless there is some default firewall in TrueNAS.
Hi!

Did you figure this out? I have the same problem.