Pool for plugins/jail

fireburst

Cadet
I haven't used jails and plugins much. So I don't know what problems could be.
So I think it's better to separate the plugin pool from main/data pool is better.

Do you create different pool for plugins/jails or use same pool with data etc.?
Which one is best usage? (For example, 2 disk mirror for only plugins/jails)

Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There's no need to use a separate pool. All jails are contained in the <poolname>/iocage dataset, so they are somewhat separate, already. Don't like them at all? Simply destroy that iocage thingy.

Now if you have a separate pool, like in my case a pool built from mirrored SSDs and another one RAIDZ2 of spinning disks, it might me worth it to keep VMs and jails on that SSD pool. Interactive performance of whatever you run in there will probably be improved.

Also - and this is again just my personal preference - I keep the data of large jails like e.g. Nextcloud in a dataset on the spinning disk ("storage") pool so it doesn't fill up my SSDs to quickly.

One last piece of advice: forget the plugins but do run standard jails - they are great. The plugins unfortunately are not well maintained, lack frequent updates, and also tend to break when updates are finally available.

HTH,
Patrick

fireburst

Cadet
There's no need to use a separate pool. All jails are contained in the <poolname>/iocage dataset, so they are somewhat separate, already. Don't like them at all? Simply destroy that iocage thingy.

Now if you have a separate pool, like in my case a pool built from mirrored SSDs and another one RAIDZ2 of spinning disks, it might me worth it to keep VMs and jails on that SSD pool. Interactive performance of whatever you run in there will probably be improved.

Also - and this is again just my personal preference - I keep the data of large jails like e.g. Nextcloud in a dataset on the spinning disk ("storage") pool so it doesn't fill up my SSDs to quickly.

One last piece of advice: forget the plugins but do run standard jails - they are great. The plugins unfortunately are not well maintained, lack frequent updates, and also tend to break when updates are finally available.

HTH,
Patrick
Thank you for reply.

In that case, I can use mirrored SSDs (which I have for the VM) for the jails. Actually my purpose of using plugins is to sync some files to/from Android (some small size files/documents) with Syncthing or Nextcloud. That's what I meant by plugins.

Thanks for advices. I will keep this in mind.

I also noticed that you are using OPNsense for the firewall system. I'm going to build a server for PfSense. I didn't know about OPNsense, I'll check it out. Thank you!