SOLVED Pool degraded

Masterluke

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a TrueNAS system with 4 3TB WD HDD.

3 of those HDD are brand-new (not older than a month, because I had problems with a disk in the past. So I replaced the disk with the problems, made a zpool clear and a lot of scubs, but the error count is not going down.
I also tried to delete the files with the error and made a clear and scrub again, but it did not work.

So I don´t know what to do from here.

Has anyone an idea what to try next?

Here are some files to make a clearer picture

Attachments

• System Information.png
    System Information.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 91
  • GUI Pool Status.png
    GUI Pool Status.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Zpool status -v.png
    Zpool status -v.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 89

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Whattteva

Wizard
Have you checked/reseated the cables? The error numbers are all identical (82.4k) and that is very unlikely.

Masterluke

Dabbler
Sounds to me like you're experiencing what happens when you use SMR disks with ZFS.

Are those drives of the EFAX type? ... https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/6-bay-enclosure-recommendation.110342/post-762797

Also have a look over here: https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/
You are 100% right, I had a EFAX drive before, but I replaced it with a EFZX.
I now have 3x EFZX and 1x EFRX. It didn´t realized it at the time I bought the EFAX.

Masterluke

Dabbler
Have you checked/reseated the cables? The error numbers are all identical (82.4k) and that is very unlikely.
I changed all the cables and replaced them with totally new ones. The numbers are identical on 3 disks (84.415) and slightly different on one disk (84.511 - which used to be the EFAX disk).

Masterluke

Dabbler
How can I get rid of the permanent errors? I tried to delete all the files, but the files (in the picture above) remained.

Or is the only option the make a complete reset?

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The safest thing to do is to destroy your pool and recreate it, and then to reload the contents from backup. However, try running a scrub to see if those files can be repaired.

Masterluke

Dabbler
The safest thing to do is to destroy your pool and recreate it, and then to reload the contents from backup. However, try running a scrub to see if those files can be repaired.
What is the best way to approach this step by step? I never before destroyed a pool and recreated it. And how do i make a backup (just copy the data and paste it back in after the reset)?

Last edited:

Masterluke

Dabbler
Or is there a manual somewhere on how to create a new pool?
Sorry I´ve never done that before..

Whattteva

Wizard
It's the same as when you made your first pool. You do need to wipe your existing pool though or create a new pool on a new set of drives.

Masterluke

Dabbler
It's the same as when you made your first pool. You do need to wipe your existing pool though or create a new pool on a new set of drives.
Ok understood, I will try that. And how do I backup the data? Just copy it over the Windows explorer to an external drive and then back onto the system?

NugentS

MVP
Thats one way. It depends on how much data there is really and how much patience you have, spare kit, capacity etc

Masterluke

Dabbler
I just found out that there seems to be something wrong with the disks. In the new alert (screenshot 1) there ist the serial number of the old EFAX-disk.
But when I look under "Disks" the new disk is displayed and not the old one (screenshot 2).
How can the new disk not be added properly to the pool?

Attachments

• Pool alert.png
    Pool alert.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Disks.png
    Disks.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 77

Masterluke

Dabbler
Thank you very much you all for your response, I whiped the data and set it up new. Therefore the problem is solved and the thread can be closed.

sretalla