Plugins slow down CIFS transfers and even crash FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johannez

Explorer
After moving my jails to a pair of mirrored SSD's on my FreeNAS 1 server i encountered problems with some plugins.
At first i thought it would be the controller of my C2750D4I motherboard cause i placed both SSD's on the 4 ports Marvell controller which is known for its problems but this seemed not the case. After more investigation i have to say i did not encountered controller problems yet with the C2750D4I.

To move the jails i used this guide:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-volume-to-new-ssd-volume.42105/#post-271740]

The problems i encountered after the move where:
Plex Mediaserver crashing after 30 min or so and the storage window in the FreeNAS UI would not load at all (blank window). Only a restart of the FreeNAS server would fix it.
Sabnzbd slowing down all transfers to different CIFS shares.

I did a fresh install of FreeNAS 9.10 and placed back my config file and changed the SSD's to another controller, this did not help the problems remained.

I still wanted to move Plex to my other server so for now the problem of a crashing Plex and FreeNAS i could avoid.
Today i wanted to start fresh with the jails on my first server but to do that i first wanted to install the plugins and jails i used on it on the other server which where not possible due to another new problem:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/unable-to-find-template-cant-install-new-plugins.46205/
So starting fresh is not an option now.

The second problem (the one i hope to fix now), slow transfer speeds on CIFS shares when Sabnzbd is in use, normally i would have write speeds of 95/100 mb sec to FreeNAS (writing to another volume, 6xWD Red RaidZ2 instead of the SSD's) but when i download with Sabnzbd (and not even repair or verify, just download) with only 10mb /sec (throttled) my write speeds to the CIFS share drop down to 6/20 mb/sec.
the moment i pause the downloads the write speeds go up again and stay up.

I never seen this before i switched to the SSD's and did the fresh install of FreeNAS.

Any help in solving this strange problem?
If i can fix the other problem i can test more by installing plugins and other jails again but i am very limited atm.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
One thing I thought of would be to increase sabnzbd's 'Article Cache Limit' which would increase how much memory sabnzbd uses and lower how much random IO it consumes.

Johannez

Explorer
Thank you for your suggestion, i had it set to 150M.
Just now i tried it with different settings and both did not effect the slow speeds at all.
I tried -1 for no limit, and 0 for no memory use.

It feels like the plugin or jail uses/reserves more resources then it should.

Here are some statistics of download and write speed i see at this moment:
Code:
Sabnzbd Download speed (on SSD):             avarage write speed to another volume:
0 (pauzed)                                                           95 mb/sec
18 mb/sec                                                              6 mb/sec
10 mb/sec                                                            15 mb/sec
  5 mb/sec                                                            35 mb/sec
  1 mb/sec                                                             70 mb/sec
These are rough estimates.

The write speeds really changes a lot, seems that with every write action Sabnzbd does on the SSD's disks the write actions on the other volume slows down with huge amounts.
If this also effected Plex i can understand why Plex crashed and FreeNAS with it.

Writing data simultaneous to both shares (without a plugin) does not cause any problems, the transfer speed get cut in half for both transfers.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
hmm maybe you should look at your available RAM?

Johannez

Explorer
This server has 32g of RAM but almost everything will be used/reserved by FreeNAS. I haven't seen it different.
90f432be890e9dc3be16b88649334fcc.jpg

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure, I think you should do benchmarking of the random IO for that SSD, sounds like it's causing a bottleneck of some sort

Johannez

Explorer
It's a pair of ssd's in mirror, both brand new but this should not make much difference if they would be bad. I could test them, I don't know how however in FreeNAS.

But let's say the ssd's are faulty how can this effect another volume in write speeds? When I am writing only 10mb a sec to the ssd's?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
i don't know, and don't plan to speculate more. goodluck

Johannez

Explorer
Thank you anyway for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.