Using existing jails and plugins after crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

luisvale

Dabbler
Hi all

I had an issue related to power and my dual mirrored USB boot system got corrupted beyond repair so, just lost my FreeNAS config, and the last backup is "quite old" and won't be adequate to what I want.

So, I just installed new boot system and managed to import correctly my existing pools. Just ran scrubs on all and everything is fine, so the problem was completely localized on the boot system.

But, as I have lost the config, all my jails and plugins, although present on their place on their pools/volumes don't have a configuration on FreeNas.

So, what is the best way to recreate those jails using the data available and not destroying their contents ?

TIA

ps: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Set your jail root to be your jail dataset and all your jails will show up in the gui.

luisvale

Dabbler
Thanks. That sorted part of the problem. Question now is that some of the jails had FreeNAS plugins assigned and these don't show.
Also the Jails "lost" their storage mappings :(

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This is why you backup your config file. I don't think you can get back the plugin part of the jail and you can't get back the storage mapping. You will have to set that up manually.

luisvale

Dabbler
That's what I was afraid of :) But the backup config I have is not "recent" enough to repair things....Thanks :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
if you can access the old jails files, most plugins keep there config/database in a directory you could copy to a newly installed plugin. a lot of these can be found under /var/db.

I also recommend installing a UPS

luisvale

Dabbler
Thanks. I'm already "fishing" the configs for the Plugins.

btw: It was the UPS that caused the problem on the USB pens (among other things that were connected at the time). Granted it was an old APC model.....

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks. I'm already "fishing" the configs for the Plugins.

btw: It was the UPS that caused the problem on the USB pens (among other things that were connected at the time). Granted it was an old APC model.....
ahh, I would think having zfs + mirrored usbs would be bulletproof, but I guess not in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.