Slow webgui, buggy plugins system

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
Currently running on FreeNAS 9.2.0, I have my volumes, datasets and shares created. The problems that I am facing:
1. The webgui is slow in loading (I am on 100 Mbps LAN). The left hand side column takes forever to load!!
2. Whenever it does load, I can see double entries of each of them!
3. I have all the plugins downloaded from the freenas repo. When i click on upload button, the browse for plugin dialog takes forever to show up on the gui.
4. When the browse to plugin dialog does come up, and i browse to the plugin, choose plugin and upload the plugin, it goes up to step 2/3 which says creating jails. After being at that step for a very long time, the dialog disappears and nothing happens.
5. The gui does not report any plugins installed.
6. running JLS from shell also does not report any jails

To solve this issue,
1. I have changed my switch - no effect
2. Cleared browser cache - no effect
3. Tried different browser - no effect
4. did a fresh install once again - no effect
5. changed the usb drive - no effect

Currently I am thinking of going back to 8.3.0 or the latest 9.2.1.1 but what about the plugins. If i choose to go back to 8.3.0 will the plugins for freenas 9.X.X work there?

Any help is appreciated.

Yatti420

Wizard
Please post the hardware you are using.. Thanks..

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
Intel G620
Intel DH67BL
16 GB RAM
3X2TB WD greens in RAIDz
1x2TB WD green as spare
TPlink ADSL modem + router

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
update on the problem. It seems that the problem was caused by reinstallation of freenas on the same thumb drive. I had chosen the fresh install option but then also it seems that some before data is preserved which was causing the issue. In order to resolve the issue, i first booted with 9.2.0 ISO. entered shell, destroyed the file system on the USB drive using dd command and then chose the install option. This has solved the slow webgui and double options problem. Installing transmission currently and taking a very long time, thanks to my crappy connection. I will post what happens. Hope this helps someone

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
everything is still not ok. This time around i selected to install plugins from the internet. The after a pretty long time, I saw that the plugin install dialog had disappeared. Assuming that it had got installed i checked the installed tab. Nothing. Checked the jail. It showed transmission_1 meaning the jail had got created but the plugin did not show up? then i tried couchpotato. The jail got created but nothing on the installed tab. again installed transmission, 2nd jail for transmission created but nothing on the installed tab. so finally gave up and deleted all the jails. deleted the Jail dataset itself. Starting from scratch. This is frustrating. Wish there were some logging for this. The message of the error just comes and disappears!

Ksten

Cadet
I'm having a similar problem on my HP N40L with 8gb. It worked fine for a year, but I got bit by the multiple jail template bug (where it kept making more and more copies of the same template) when I upgraded, so I completely wiped the usb stick and reinstalled 9.2.1 by running dd to copy the image directly onto it. I also deleted all zfs data sets except for my main one for local file sharing before reinstalling from scratch. I then upgraded to 9.2.1.2 a week later.

Now, the left bar takes on average 2-3 minutes to open (it has the 3 bar "loading" animation during this time). The plugins tab does the same. The left bar has no + before plugins, either, so I can't configure transmission (which is the only plugin I have at the moment on my new install). In /var/log/messages I get this:

Mar 10 21:48:32 odin manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:526] Couldn't retrieve http://10.5.0.10/plugins/transmission/1/_s/treemenu: timed out

I also get massive amounts of these in /var/log/messages now (10.5.0.50 is my laptop). Not sure if there's any relation:
Mar 10 21:51:06 odin smbd[30339]: [2014/03/10 21:51:06.571004, 0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:941(matchname)
Mar 10 21:51:06 odin smbd[30338]: [2014/03/10 21:51:06.571008, 0] ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:941(matchname)
Mar 10 21:51:06 odin smbd[30339]: matchname: host name/name mismatch: 10.5.0.50 != (NULL)

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 7.40.11 AM.png

Hi all. I'm a new here, but I've been lurking and reading this forum for a couple months now. I don't wish to dig up an older thread, but I thought this was directly relevant.

I also ran into a similar problem with slow webGUI/Jails. I'm still working out a more permanent fix, but the problem seems to be related in the NAS attempting to perform DNS lookups.

While this seems independent of the other DNS settings I've checked, enabling the NAS to be able to reach a working DNS server should resolve the issue. As soon as I allowed the NAS to talk out to (only the) DNS on port 53, the problem completely resolved itself.

If you are like me and don't want your NAS touching the public net, you'll want to create an ACL or rule in your router/firewall that precisely restricts what your NAS can talk to.

I'll follow up later when I find a better solution as I have time, but until then I hope this helps anyone else trolling for solutions to odd quirks like this :D

cyberjock

Inactive Account

paulheu

Cadet
HI, is there a solution yet for the problem installing plugins? New to FreeNAS but I'm having serious problems with the plugins install basically getting stuck. Tried directinstall from either USB or sdcard and running in HyperV VM. Issue is the same wherever. I'm seeing bugreports from 9.1.1 where this was fixed but so far it seems it wasn't..

Stephen Hoos

Dabbler
I am experiencing the same problem after a power failure. The plugin webgui is dead slow if it responds at all. Is there any way to fix this without a reinstall?

My system.
I am not sure what the motherboard is.
CPU core i5
RAM 16GB
HD 4x 3TB WD red in raidz2

Bhoot

Patron
I may be very late but I was facing the same issue of slow download of plugins. I mean I reinstalled the FreeNAS and don't remember waiting for 2 hours just to finish first plugin install over a 4mbps connection. Anyways I now changed the repository url to http://www.appcafe.org/freenas/json and seems to be much faster than the default repository link.
Well I don't want to be seen promoting it. But I guess in Asia the servers for freenas update and install aren't the best. I also spent a lot of time downloading the freenas setup from the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.