Plugin issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrabbyOne

Cadet
I am having issues with plugins going offline. Here is all the info about what is going on:
System-Dell T20-16 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD (FreeNAS Installed here), 3x2 TB Drives
Motorola MB 7420 Modem and Arris SBR AC1750 router
FreeNAS has a static IP (192.168.0.50). DHCP begins at 0.100 for all other systems
When I set up the jails/plugins, I set it to use 192.168.0.51 through 0.60 and the 4 jails used 51-54
What I am hoping to do/have work is this:
SAMBA shares for different drives (1-data-books, music, software, etc), (2-Video-TV, Movies) and (3-Backups-Win 10 and Time Machine)
I also have a Windows 10 PC that runs PlayOn so I can record TV shows when not home
I want to run the following plugins: NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr and Plex. Sonarr, Radarr and Plex need access to the TV and Video shares so I can watch any of the videos or TV shows from a Roku, Fire TV or other device at home or away (firewall rule works).
I had everything working and it stopped last night. I tried restarting the server this morning and all the Jails shows to be running but the plugins are not and will not start. I logged into each jail and could ping google and the other jails and I could ping each jail from my PC and FreeNAS.
Since then, FreeNAS has stopped the jails and they will not boot up.

Any suggestions on what caused this and if my setup may be the cause? I plan on reinstalling FreeNAS Wed and reinstalling the plugins so I dont want to go through this again.

Explain what you mean by going offline. The whole plugin jail stops or just your access to the plugin from other computers.

Also how are the jails getting IP's what did you set to use 51 through 60 and the jails ended up with whatever IP address.

When was everything first setup and working fine. How long till there was an issue.

There was something similar the other day and there was an issue with his router that bled over to cause issues with contacting the jails. https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/jails-keep-going-unreachable.56676/#post-398630

CrabbyOne

Cadet
Explain what you mean by going offline. The whole plugin jail stops or just your access to the plugin from other computers.

Also how are the jails getting IP's what did you set to use 51 through 60 and the jails ended up with whatever IP address.

When was everything first setup and working fine. How long till there was an issue.

There was something similar the other day and there was an issue with his router that bled over to cause issues with contacting the jails. https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/jails-keep-going-unreachable.56676/#post-398630

By offline, I mean the plugin service status shows off and I can't reach the web site (NZBGet, Radarr, Sonarr or Plex). If I open the individual jail, it is running and ifconfig shows the correct IP. I can ping out (Google.com) and I can ping the Jail VM (192.168.0.51-54). When I created the Jail storage location, there is the option for networking where I set it to use 51-60. I also put entries in the router for each jail.

I initially installed FreeNAS Sunday and it ran until this morning.

Phil2112

Dabbler
Hi,

nightshade can probably help you better, but it doesn't sound like a networking issue with your setup (unless you have two different DHCP servers on the same network).

I've run into some issues with the GUI and being unable to use it to turn on and turn off plugins in plugin jails lately. Personally, I've found using the command line much more reliable. There are a few options to access the command line, but probably the easiest (which you have clearly already used) is to click the jail and then bring up the terminal (at the bottom of the page).

So, to set your Plex jail to restart if you need to reboot the freenas box, use:

Code:
sysrc plexmediaserver_enable="YES"

Then:
Code:
service plexmediaserver start

That should start Plex and allow it to restart if you need to reboot the jail or your freenas box.

I seriously doubt you need to reinstall Freenas.

The other jails should work somewhat similarly, but I don't know the correct name of servers for each plugin.

Ok so first thing's first, the little setting where you are allowing FreeNAS to set IP's probably needs to go. Even though it set an IP address a better practice is to manually set one for each individual jail. Otherwise just use the router's DHCP function and set static reservations and allow the jails to DHCP their IP address. I know it doesn't seem like it would cause an issue with the Plugin system but it very well could since the plugin also tries to grab the ip and give it to you in a nice little link in the FreeNAS GUI.

There have been other instances where the Plugin's will not work unless the jail gets an IP via DHCP. https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-plugin-works-but-wont-start.38867/

Since you are using the plugin the SYSRC commands do not apply to you so feel free to ignore.

CrabbyOne

Cadet
I changed the IP setting to DHCP and built them into my router so they get the same IP on reboot. Everything is running fine although Sonarr frequently shows to be off (I can still access the page so it is working). The only other issue I am finding is I can't delete any of the video files (TV or Movies) from within PLEX or by accessing the SAMBA share. Both say access denied by UNIX user media. What is weird is I can rename and move files in the SAMBA mount, just can't delete the file or folder.
I know FreeNAS is very pick on permissions so I am afraid to change anything along that line. Any ideas?

Allowing plex to delete media is a pain and can backfire. As far as being able to do so with your SMB username you will need to chown the folders.

If it is a single large directory with say multiple files and folders (don't do this if you have something with jail settings so limit this to what absolutely needs to be done) you will use:

chown -R user:group directory

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=chown&sektion=8

What you want the user to be is probably your account and the group should be the group that your account is using. Again if you have a jail saving information in a folder it will lose read write access unless it is a member of the group you change the owner to and the file permissions are set to allow group members to make modifications.

CrabbyOne

Cadet
Allowing plex to delete media is a pain and can backfire. As far as being able to do so with your SMB username you will need to chown the folders.

If it is a single large directory with say multiple files and folders (don't do this if you have something with jail settings so limit this to what absolutely needs to be done) you will use:

chown -R user:group directory

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=chown&sektion=8

What you want the user to be is probably your account and the group should be the group that your account is using. Again if you have a jail saving information in a folder it will lose read write access unless it is a member of the group you change the owner to and the file permissions are set to allow group members to make modifications.

My setup is pretty much defaults. Dell T20 with 16 GB RAM and a 16 GB SSD for FreeNAS and 3 X 2 TB Drives for storage. I created 2 local accounts-mine and the wife (for SAMBA access) and both were added to the wheel. I then created 3 SAMBA shares, 1 on each drive-Data (Docs, pics, etc), Backup (for her PC) and Video (Movies and TV) with default permissions on all 3. I also added a TimeMachine share for my Mac. Once done, I rebooted and can access any of the shares from either computer. I then installed the Plex, SABNZBD, Couch Potato and SONARR plugins. Storage was added pointing to the Videos location. I see Root as the owner (user) and Wheel as the Owner (group) for all 3 but the group does not have write permission. From what you are saying, if I read it right, I need to add media to the wheel and everything should work allowing me to delete items after they have been watched?
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 10.59.44 AM.png

All permissions for all folders look just like this

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 10.56.28 AM.png

Permissions have to be changed via command line.

It depends on a lot of different things on how you set things up.

For instance, my system has a group specifically for SMB access. All my media is setup with my username as the owner and SMB for the group.

The jails are a different story and I can't really help you what they need to be set as. What I ended up doing for my Transmission jail is add a group into the FreeNAS that is the same ID as whatever the one the jail is using and then add my user as a member of that group as well so I can access the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.