Plug-In n00b Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Explorer
So I've tried installing two different plug-ins (transmission and plexmediaserver) and neither one works yet. Both are stuck at roughly the same place. Clearly I don't yet understand how to properly configure a plug-in.

The install itself seems to go just fine. I get the progress thermometer, then the plug-in shows up under the 'Installed' tab on the Plugins page. And there's a new jail created on the Jails page. So far, so good.

Clicking on the newly installed plugin doesn't give my any configuration options, which seems odd. Surely both of these plug-ins have a lot of options I should set? The jails have options I can tinker with, but no guidance on what I should change if anything. Clicking the on/off switch for the plugin pauses for a few seconds before popping up the generic message 'some sort of error occurred'.

Finally, the system log starts spewing complaints that 'freenas kernel: arp: xx:xx:xx is using my ip address' which seems ominous. It stops when I uninstall the plugins. That's where I am now.

So... how many things have I done wrong?

mattbbpl

Patron
I'm loving that fact that you called the progress bar a thermometer. For some inexplicable reason, that made my day :smile:

Setting up the plugins was pretty easy on my end. It was pretty plug-and-play, although mine were different plugins than what you were using.

There wasn't much to configure on them from the FreeNAS side, and I left all of those settings as the default. Although you may need to investigate them because it appears (based on the messages you're reporting) that you have an IP address conflict. You can check the IP addresses/settings of your plugins by going to the jails and viewing the advanced options there.

RoadHazard

Explorer
Going away and coming back an hour later seems to have improved things a bit. Apparently the less I'm around, the better it all works. ;-)

The transmission plugin now starts, and I don't get the IP conflict messages anymore. My suspicion is that the role of master browser might have changed in the interim through a spontaneous election. I'll keep looking.

Edit: Although the master browser role did change, it probably wasn't my problem.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Clicking on the newly installed plugin doesn't give my any configuration options
What exactly are you clicking on? Have you looked in the tree menu on the left?

Regarding the possible IP conflict, have you set up Jails | Configuration appropriately?

RoadHazard

Explorer
Yes, contrary to what the documentation describes, the new plugins did not appear on the tree in the left-hand window. That was my first clue something was wrong.

The good news is, both plugins are now running. My problem seemed to be enabling DHCP for the respective jails. You have to make sure the service is OFF before changing its IP address and/or DHCP setting, then switch it back ON. That's obvious in hindsight, but not at all obvious when you're doing it for the first time. Once each jail got its own IP address, everything downstream from that ran more or less by the book. Configuring the jails' storage spaces was also very non-intuitive...

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Glad you figured it out.

I use fixed IPs for my jails, outside the DHCP range of my router.

Status
Not open for further replies.