Plex versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryM

Dabbler
I am an old timer, so go easy!
I have just rebuilt the system with new drives and gone to FreeNAS 9.10. I saw some traffic about problems with Plex, so I followed this guide:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...all-plex-in-a-freenas-9-3-jail-updated.19412/
It all appeared to work as described but I didn't have any useful outcome! It found and installed a v1.1+ of Plex and ran it (via the Shell), but there is no sign of this in the Web GUI.
Anyways, I went back and installed the latest version (1.0.3) available on the Plugins for the GUI and this is up and running well. So this begs some questions:
1) Do I need to stop and/or remove v1.1? If so, how?
2) When will the later version be available via the GUI?

You will appreciate that I can only use the Shell if I can copy precise commands!
thanks for your understanding.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you never need to remove anything. you can have a mess of standard jails and plugins jails. there's no limitation at all here

if I have time, I'll try building v1.1 of plex tonight. and it should be available tomorrow

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Update should be available now.

PerryM

Dabbler
Indeed. However - I tried to update from 1.03 and it took ages and ultimately didn't work. I then uninstalled and reloaded/installed the new version and it is now back up and running. I don't know if I did anything wrong.
cheers

PerryM

Dabbler
Maybe not the right place, but as a word of warning - the later version of the Plex server requires authentication from the clients as default. This is a problem for me since I use a Samsung DVD player as a client and it has no means to authenticate. Any ideas how to turn this off?

philhu

Patron
yes, to turn off, there is a new setting in plex / server

You specify the network subnet, like 192.168.1.0/24 that will allow access without authentication.

The list can take multiple networks, seperated by commas.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Indeed. However - I tried to update from 1.03 and it took ages and ultimately didn't work. I then uninstalled and reloaded/installed the new version and it is now back up and running. I don't know if I did anything wrong.
cheers
probably not, PBI upgrades are just unreliable.
uploading the newer PBI to the jail usually works best. or use the upgrade script others recommend

philhu

Patron
probably not, PBI upgrades are just unreliable.
uploading the newer PBI to the jail usually works best. or use the upgrade script others recommend

For newbies.....
Where does one find the newer PBI installer, and what does PBI stand for?

So, do you recommend uninstalling the old and just installing the new with plex?

I did get 1.0.0 to upgrade to 1.0.3 successfully, and it did take over 45 minutes. I thought it had died halfway through but I let it keep running, and it finished. I will probably upgrade the 1.0.3 to the 1.1 version. BTW, the 1.0.3 version has the auth ip address skip stuff you set for authenticated apps I allude to above.

PerryM

Dabbler
Ref to "plex / server" above - is that something you have to do in Shell or can I access it in the GUI?

philhu

Patron
it is in the gui....just go into setup and select server settings

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
For newbies.....
Where does one find the newer PBI installer, and what does PBI stand for?

So, do you recommend uninstalling the old and just installing the new with plex?

I did get 1.0.0 to upgrade to 1.0.3 successfully, and it did take over 45 minutes. I thought it had died halfway through but I let it keep running, and it finished. I will probably upgrade the 1.0.3 to the 1.1 version. BTW, the 1.0.3 version has the auth ip address skip stuff you set for authenticated apps I allude to above.
https://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/
I think PBI stands for "Push Button Installer"

If you want to save time it is much faster to do this...
1) upload another PBI to your plex jail, for example btsync
2) stop the plex plugin
3) delete the plex plugin
4) upload the latest plex PBI to the plex jail
5) start the plex plugin
6) delete the extra plugin you installed to the plex jail

Status
Not open for further replies.