Plex working but service not running - Can't update

PriceyOnline

Cadet
I'm trying to update my Plex server but I have a strange issue.

Externally, the Plex server seems to be working fine. All devices on the network can see the Plex server and play media without issue.

The issue. The Plugins page on the web interface doesn't show Plex as installed. I don't really care because I would update it manually anyway. When I try to stop the service through the shell though, it says the service does not exist.

root@FreeNAS[~]# service plexmediaserver stop​
plexmediaserver does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup​
directories (/etc/ix.rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable​

Checking what services are running with service -e shows no mention of Plex either. I don't understand how the service doesn't exist yet the server is visible and functioning on the network.

My search of the forums and general Googling is drawing a blank unfortunately.

For reference, I originally installed Plex using the guide here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-11-2-jail.19412/

FreeNAS version and system specs are in my signature.

Any suggestions?

Fredda

Guru
The service does not exist in your FreeNAS, your server tells you the truth about that. The service is running inside the jail where you installed it. Run the service commands there.

PriceyOnline

Cadet
The service does not exist in your FreeNAS, your server tells you the truth about that. The service is running inside the jail where you installed it. Run the service commands there.

Of course.... face palm.

Thanks for answering my noob question. :smile: