Plex (Version 1.0.3.2461) - FreeNAS 9.10.1, can't claim server, or get meta data

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-dubya

Cadet
Full disclosure, I'm fairly new to FreeNAS.. but I pick up quick so..

I have freenas up and running, I've made groups, users, I have access to my plex media storage folder through my network on my main pc. I can add media to the files, and plex can discover it.

I've tried plex both from the plugin section, and I created a jail to install plex in following Cosmos tutorial.

I can access each of them, I can even get videos to start.

What I can't do is "claim this server" , as well any of the content I get onto the server does not get it's meta data (Posters, info, etc.)

I went into the jail via shell, and I can ping websites (Really just tested google.com to verify it had internet access)

Where have I gone wrong? What step am I missing?

I feel there should be an easy fix to this... Thank you for your time.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This sounds very strange. Are you certain you went into the shell and typed something like "ping google.com" **in the jail**?

Also, please let us know the hardware setup. Especially motherboard make/model, total RAM, etc.

B-dubya

Cadet
Pretty positive... I've got my jail labled "Plex_Server" and in the jail section.. highlighted the jail then clicked on the shell icon on the bottom.. then ping away.
Alternatively, I also tried just going through shell on the left wit jlk and finding the jail...

After your post.. having doubted myself... I have since added SSH access to the jail, and added a user, and SSH'd directly into the jail.. which for this attempt is 192.168.1.123 ... because why not.

Each way I attempted, i was able to ping. Both 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com. So I don't feel that it isn't able to access the internet... but i could still be wrong.

As far hardware... I picked up a HP Z600, it is running dual Xeon E5640's @ 2.67GHz (8 total core, 16 threads), 16gig of ram, currently booting off of an 8GB flash drive (I'll be getting a bigger one soon, its just the only blank I had laying around..) And, since I'm just starting out... I only have the one hard drive... once I know more can do more.. I'll be adding more. I don't really need that much storage..... yet.

Since I am 100% new.. nothing really set.. Would it be worth while to drop down to FreeNAS 9.3 and run that way? I know 9.10 is the latest stable build... but the plugins could not yet be ready?

(Since I am new, may take a bit for replies as it appears each of my posts have to await moderator approval... sorry about that...)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Since I am 100% new.. nothing really set.. Would it be worth while to drop down to FreeNAS 9.3 and run that way? I know 9.10 is the latest stable build... but the plugins could not yet be ready?
Don't do this, you won't be able to get support here on the forums if you're running an outdated version.

B-dubya

Cadet
Sure thing!

I just asked because just about every signature I see shows FreeNas 9.3 or 9.3.1 .... I wasn't sure if people just didn't upgrade... or update signatures!

I'll stick with 9.10.1 then!

Thank you!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I wasn't sure if people just didn't upgrade... or update signatures!
Likely a bit of both. I'm still on 9.3.1 but plan on upgrading soon.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Justa guess since I don't use plex. But for the freenas plugin you could try the "disable security" option temporarily.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So I don't think your really care about the reclaim server thing. Plex doesn't store any information for your server. They only keep track of your ip.

The reason you can add meta data is an entirely different problem. Check your Plex logs. /use/local/Plex something/Plex Media Server/Logs

I'm not sure of the path but you will figure it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

B-dubya

Cadet
Yea, I have a free account that i try to log into through plex (Which fails) as a result not allowing me to claim the server. I just mention the claiming of the server because it is most likely caused by the same issue.

My real grief, is plex media server not being able to retrieve any of the data in regards to the movies..

EDIT: Update...

After a clean installation of freenas.. and a clean install through plug in and shell .. I have decided to switch to Ubuntu for now.. it is getting the job done.. I just miss the web based gui !

Thank you all for your support.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yea, I have a free account that i try to log into through plex (Which fails) as a result not allowing me to claim the server. I just mention the claiming of the server because it is most likely caused by the same issue.

My real grief, is plex media server not being able to retrieve any of the data in regards to the movies..

EDIT: Update...

After a clean installation of freenas.. and a clean install through plug in and shell .. I have decided to switch to Ubuntu for now.. it is getting the job done.. I just miss the web based gui !

Thank you all for your support.
What's the deal lately with people asking for help then not following through with the advice. Your problem isn't freenas it's that you can't follow directions and set things up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mlovelace

Guru
What's the deal lately with people asking for help then not following through with the advice. Your problem isn't freenas it's that you can't follow directions and set things up.
I'm pretty sure it's leading to forum burn-out, I don't see as many regulars around here anymore.

B-dubya

Cadet
Well, I did try my best to follow through with each suggestion. I had even looked through each type of log, before and after your suggestion.

I was able to get FreeNAS to do everything I wanted it too, other than the plex app to collect meta Data...

I assure you I can follow directions, thank you for your concern.

antivirus

Dabbler
Well, I did try my best to follow through with each suggestion. I had even looked through each type of log, before and after your suggestion.

I was able to get FreeNAS to do everything I wanted it too, other than the plex app to collect meta Data...

I assure you I can follow directions, thank you for your concern.

I had the same issue as you as was able to find a solution on the Plex forums.

You need to either add Plex server's private IP address in the 'List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth' under Settings - Server - Network - 'Show Advanced' (EASIEST) OR some jails do not have a local loopback adapter so you need to add one. Easiest way to add a local loopback adapter would be to set 127.0.0.1 under ipv4 alias under the jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.