Plex speed & TrueNAS

SFR.wav

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm currently set up with Plex Media Server running on an Nvidia Shield. The Shield has the TrueNAS SMB share mounted on it.
Plex is accessing the library hosted on TrueNAS. No problem there.

I notice some performance issues when it comes to playing back files on Plex from TrueNAS.

Here are my observations :
- When Plex isn't using TrueNAS for a while (let's say 24h) and you want to play a movie, plex playback is very slow. The movie keeps buffering forever
- When I reboot TrueNAS, then the plex playback is extremely smooth with absolutely no buffering issue.

Any idea what could cause this and how it could be resolved?
Rebooting the NAS each time I want to play back isn't extremely convenient

Thanks!

timctrahan

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm currently set up with Plex Media Server running on an Nvidia Shield. The Shield has the TrueNAS SMB share mounted on it.
Plex is accessing the library hosted on TrueNAS. No problem there.

I notice some performance issues when it comes to playing back files on Plex from TrueNAS.

Here are my observations :
- When Plex isn't using TrueNAS for a while (let's say 24h) and you want to play a movie, plex playback is very slow. The movie keeps buffering forever
- When I reboot TrueNAS, then the plex playback is extremely smooth with absolutely no buffering issue.

Any idea what could cause this and how it could be resolved?
Rebooting the NAS each time I want to play back isn't extremely convenient

Thanks!
I have these exact same symptoms.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There seem to be two obvious questions:

1) What happens if you reboot the Shield

2) Why are you running PMS on a Shield instead of directly on the NAS?

The lack of answers here is probably because most people here run Plex directly on the FreeNAS host.