Plex on xbox one, i can't get sound on the movies.

Darklion

Explorer
I am trying to play movies on my xbox one, they play ok but with no sound. If I use the fire stick I have no issues so I guess is the xbox the one that has the problem. Anyone has an idea why xbox is not producing sound on the plex app? Cuz everything else works fine on the xbox.

DarkSound

Cadet
Hello Darklion,
How did you configure your TrueNas so that the Xbox can access the content?
Thanks for your feedback.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There's a good possibility that your plex server and the xbox client think they need to transcode the media for the xbox (even though clearly the xbox can play the file, so doesn't require it).

Somehow the decision for whatever combination of codecs you're using is an incorrect one to go with the setup that you have. (I guess far too many variables to list out, like method of connecting xbox to tv and output... amplifier or just TV sound, or via tv, and settings for those and settings in the plex client and settings on the plex server.........)

Can you try to find a file with standard codecs like X264 video and EAC3 audio and see how that's handled?

ThreeDee

Guru
I use Vidcoder to encode all my movies now to h.264 and keep them around 2GB's (i run all 1080p content). Everything runs perfect on my Xbox One S that is hooked up wirelessly on my network. I have about 25'ish friends/family I share with and some using smart TV's and/or PS 4's where having stuttering issues that I finally figured out was due to some .mp4's where h.265 ..I have since started re-encoded those to h.264 as I discover/find those files.

..all that to say, as sretalla mentioned .. try finding a file that works and look at the coding on it or re-encode a file that doesn't work and see if you get audio on your XBOX

Windows default media player is a good tester .. if it doesn't like the file it pops up with option to buy HEVC codec (VLC will play the file just fine for free though) so then I know I need to re-encode the file... maybe it won't play the audio for you and then you know you need to re-encode it...?