Plex Media Server and Own Cloud FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Linus is the best been watching him for years too bad he hasnt gone in debth of freenas

epic sarcasm detection failure.

They didn't suffer a "massive RAID failure." They suffered a massive ... well, let's just say it too starts with R and ends in D, but it's six letters, not four... failure.

INCSlayer

Contributor

DJ9

Contributor
The only way I'd let Linus in a data center is if was to one of my competitors. :D

INCSlayer

Contributor
Nice and diplomatic. I think I *was* being nice and diplomatic. Did you watch the video?
yes yes i have and i groaned and wanted to hit him with a hammer for most of it

MontyD

Explorer
Quick question I'm planning on using a Corsair 850W power supply for my build (I have actually ordered the case and power supply already) and like @russnas said i won't be using over 400w of power. Should having twice the available power from the psu be a problem? Should i downgrade my psu and get something else? just to remind you guys this is why I'm looking at currently. (crossed off stuff has been purchased) I took @Kevin Horton 's advice and added a extra 2tb of storage so I can run RaidZ2. Which will give me two disks of parity and help with keeping my data safe.

260GB TimeMachine
1-1.5Tb Owncloud
1.5TB PMS
240GB-740GB for personal storage
(this won't go over 80%)

MontyD

Explorer
Also I have 2 500gb hard drives, one is a wd blue and the other is a seagate barracuda. Will I be able to include these in my build as another array? I understand that all the drives in one array must be the same capacity.

Also I have 2 500gb hard drives, one is a wd blue and the other is a seagate barracuda. Will I be able to include these in my build as another array? I understand that all the drives in one array must be the same capacity.
You could use those two drives as a separate pool. Either set them up as a mirror, if you want to be able to lose one drive without losing data, or set them up stripped, which gives double the capacity but you lose all the data on the that pool if either drive fails. The choice depends on the importance of the data on that pool.

No matter what you do, you want these in a separate pool, so their failure cannot affect the data in the main pool.

MontyD

Explorer
Alright so just a quick update going to put in the order for the rest of my components tomorrow or the day after. Just wanted to check if the ram would be good thinking of going with 2x 8gb dimms.

thinking of this so far:
If anyone can find cheaper deals on RAM please let me know. Im also going to be throwing the following cooler in to make the system more quiet:
Noctua NH-L12 120mm & 92mm SSO Bearing PWM Fans CPU Cooler
(only problem is that I'm not sure if there is gonna be enough clearance for the cooler to fit)

Motherboard I'm using is: (just as a reference to see if the RAM i picked is good)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wouldn't you want them to be registered? Seeing they put less electrical load on the memory controller.
That's not how things work.

The memory controller needs to be designed to handle Registered or Load-Reduced DIMMs, in addition to UDIMMs.
LGA115x processors only take UDIMMs, single-socket Xeon E5 CPUs take RDIMMs and UDIMMs and dual+ socket Xeon E5s take LR-DIMMs, too.

MontyD

Explorer
quick update:
case arrived, I installed the 2 500gb hdd i had lying around, the PSU, and did some cable management.
Also bought the cpu and ram. For now I'm going to put the build on hold till i find a part time job although i could finish it. Just want some income before i finish it off.

MontyD

Explorer
So I ordered the remaining parts for my build got the cpu Tuesday should get the ram today. Just ordered the 4 x 2tb wd red drives, motherboard, and 16gb usb drive today. hopefully everything comes within a week

MontyD

Explorer
also quick question is there any way of using a gpu with freenas?

danb35

Hall of Famer
is there any way of using a gpu with freenas?
What for? FreeNAS is a text-mode server OS. What benefit would a GPU give?

Status
Not open for further replies.