Plex jail and VIMAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgaar

Dabbler
I have been trying to understand the impact checking and un-checking the VIMAGE option has on the way Plex works while running in a FreeNas jail. If I leave the VIMAGE option default (checked) it seems like my Plex installation runs a little slower then if it is unchecked. So far so good. The problems comes if I have it unchecked and trying to play a movie (kinda the purpose of all this). It will fail to start. I browse the library, see details on media but playing doesn't work.

Now, playing music works(!) without any problem. Another thing is that Plex remote access does not work with the VIMAGE option unchecked.

From what I gather, when you uncheck the option, the jail gets it own network stack as opposed to bridgeing to the host (FreNas) system. My findings looking at both the jail ifconfig and the host's supports that.

The big question is why Plex behaves in this manner with the option unchecked? given that I see the Plex installation being snappier while browsing media, i would like to have the option unchecked. Not being able to play movies or access it remotely is kinda a showstopper..... :)

scrappy

Patron
Not an expert by any stretch, but VIMAGE is a virtualized and isolated network stack from the host machine. Perhaps when unchecked, FreeNAS creates a NAT network connection for your Plex Jail which isolates your jail from the LAN which might explain not being able to play content from Plex. If there is an option to BRIDGE your Jail's network when VIMAGE is unchecked then try that. I am currently running FreeNAS Corral which doesn't use jails, therefore I do not really know exactly how FreeNAS 9.x handles jails. Hopefully more experienced members on these forums can provide better info on this subject matter than what I am capable of providing.

Last edited:

jFlatz

Dabbler
Did you figure this out. I too am trying to get it to work. I really want / need Plex to use its own nic and the only way I know how to do this is by unchecking VIMAGE.

millst

Contributor
So it sounds like your options are broken/fast or functional/slow. Perhaps, the reason it is slow is because it's actually working and doing all the things it's supposed to do...

Turning off VIMAGE likely prevents any broadcasting/multicasting from working in the Plex jail. That would be my guess as to why Plex is broken when you turn it off.

-tm

jFlatz

Dabbler
What is strange is I put a YouTube video in my "Watch Later" and I am able to connect to my PMS from my phone and watch it. I should also note that the phone is using cellular data and not connected to home network, yet it can see the PMS server and stream something from "Watch Later"

Status
Not open for further replies.