Plex is transcoding to 720p from 2160p

gsxrjunky

Cadet
I've currently moved to TrueNAS Scale from Ubuntu Server, hoping that using apps/containers instead of independent VMs may alleviate issues. My current hardware:
AMD Threadripper 3960X
64GB DDR4 RAM Non-ECC
Nvidia RTX3080
16TB RaidZ2 array

When playing MKV-filetype content thru a PS5 (2160p display), I open the playback settings to see "Resolution: 3840x2160 -> 720x404" and I'm unsure as to why. In my TrueNAS Scale app settings, I selected GPU1 and can see the GPU working a little bit via 'nvidia-smi'. I have all my Plex settings set to play original quality. Whenever I attempt to disable transcoding in the hopes that 4K pass-through may work, I receive the "not enough CPU for conversion".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fenchak87

Cadet
Is this on your network as in Direct Play or are you Transcoding? I had issues with My PS4 doing the same thing. I've installed the app on my Samsung TV and all is well.

Saberwolf

Explorer
you have a few things that could make that happen and there is a lot here are some examples of supported types https://www.acrok.com/sony-playstation-supported-video-audio-formats/
1705093691454.png

if your encoded source is at a higher Profile level transcode will have to happen audio not of the same it will transcode there is a difference from direct play and direct stream. if the container is not of the supported type it will transcode. so i ask you do you know what the source media container format is and how the video is encoded to start then i can help with getting it direct stream/play. it might be two things either the player your PS5/APP on it or your source media are not supported install the plex app on your desktop and play it there. if it direct play/stream on that then you know an issue is source media or PS5 related. more info is need to go any further