PLEX install error

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
And let's get this clear: I don't give a damn whose fault it is. You are creating this subsystem, and then you had the temerity to complain about a necropost when some end user suffering the effects of your code had an issue that you failed to prevent in code, and they failed to self-resolve. You have the ability to lobby for changes in the way iXsystems handles things, and you have a better basis for making such complaints because you're supporting something that iXsystems apparently wants.

But rather than say "Hey @cornboy72 please head on over to https://foo.bar.whatever where our staff will be happy to help you out", you instead start the discussion with

One of the very first things we encourage users to do, so much so that it's in the Forum Rules, is to use search to see if they can locate a solution to their problem. If you are offering your apps within the TrueNAS ecosystem, which it seems you are, then it may come to pass that people end up here to try to resolve their problem, which appears to them to be related to TrueNAS. I don't think any of us here on the moderation team are going to object to you redirecting these people to your own support resources if that's appropriate, but I will mention that you probably need to be a little more specific than saying "on discord".

Let's not get personal on this. Yes, its iX and Kubernetes that create these error reports. They are useful for developers (that has a value), but not so useful for end users. I'd agree with making a Suggestion on improving these.

Angelfish was Apps 1.0. There are many improvements still to be made, but on the whole its getting positive feedback and the Apps are more reliable (especially with Bluefin and overlayFS which is 2.0).

TrueCharts is independent of TrueNAS and the apps are designed to be reasonably generic Helm Charts. iX doesn't have the bandwidth to develop and maintain the huge variety of Apps that interest the Community. So, we've collaborated with TrueCharts (who provide the Apps for free). This has solved many problems... but it doesn't solve all.

I'm confident it will get better with time. There will be blood sweat and tears involved, but the growth in numbers of Apps and the numbers of users is very high. As it matures, it will get easier.

stavros-k

Patron
I don't want to pick sides, just want to say few things, to sed some light.

Errors like the one posted above, is not the first thing a user will see. Once something go wrong it looks like this:

1670656502042.png

Which is not that bad. 70% of the message is actually a useful text for the user to understand what's gone wrong and maybe even fix it by himself.
If you click More info... then you get the wall long traceback.

WHICH is very useful, for developers. One could say, well you can get this traceback from the debug file.
The issue here is that, independent projects, do not have that easy access to the debug file (and I don't believe the want to have), but they rely on the user's feedback to see what's gone wrong.

Yes sometimes the message will not be clear. like the above. The above message is a result of a guard clause, that is intended.
Yes there will be messages that are 10 lines long that is from when things gone wrong that no-one predicted.

While myself I would like to "catch" things earlier, Helm Charts are based on a templating language. Which is very (VERY) limiting.
You don't have try catch blocks
You don't have a way to display some warning. You can only "fail" (error) the rendering (like the error above)
You can't have coverage reports for unittests (Which sucks, especially with huge common libraries like TrueCharts have)
Even with unittests you can't guarantee that will work 100%, because of how helm generates the documents/objects.

The only thing that someone could ask, is to remove some generic part of the error like the "[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release".
The rest of it comes from the Helm Engine.

As Morgan said, it will get better with time, on both iX and TrueCharts side. The feedback loop between the 2 parties is working nicely.
I can see Scale and apps in extension improve by A LOT and continues to improve.