PLEX install error

DavidinGA

Explorer

No prior posts show up in a Search for "plex Missing name from dictionary" ... so ... what did I do wrong, please?

I looked at some other "Plex install error" posts and didn't find this.
I tried to search the docs but didn't find anything helpful.
CONTEXT: I'm in Apps setting up Plex for the first time.
Thanks

Error​

[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:74:15): Missing name from dictionary
remove_circle_outlineMore info...
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 411, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 446, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1133, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1265, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/chart_release.py", line 467, in do_create await self.middleware.call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1344, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1304, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/helm.py", line 44, in helm_action raise CallError(f'Failed to {tn_action} chart release: {stderr.decode()}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:74:15): Missing name from dictionary

DavidinGA

Explorer
Well, pretty much duplicated his steps
Application Name: plex
Version: 1.7.14
Use PlexPass: false
Plex Claim Token: claim-Qdsy2K1vxbXc2fA9Bhzc
Environment Variables for Plex: 1
Plex container timezone: 'America/New_York' timezone
Configure Host Network: false
Configure Plex TCP Service:
Port to expose for Plex UI: 32400
Plex Storage:
Transcode Volume:
Enable Host Path for Plex Transcode Volume: false
Data Volume:
Enable Host Path for Plex Data Volume: true
Host Path for Plex Data Volume: /mnt/storagepool2/plex
Config Volume:
Enable Host Path for Plex Config Volume: true
Host Path for Plex Config Volume: /mnt/storagepool2/plex
Update Strategy: Kill existing pods before creating new ones
Enable Pod resource limits: false
Confirm these settings.
and still, this ...
Error
[EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:74:15): Missing name from dictionary
remove_circle_outlineMore info...
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 411, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 446, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1133, in nf
res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1265, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/chart_release.py", line 467, in do_create
await self.middleware.call(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1344, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1304, in _call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/helm.py", line 44, in helm_action
raise CallError(f'Failed to {tn_action} chart release: {stderr.decode()}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to install chart release: Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: execution error at (plex/templates/deployment.yaml:74:15): Missing name from dictionary

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think I have enough experience with SCALE to be much help here (I've played around with it on a VM, but not using it in production), but I see that Plex is available both as an "official" app and in TrueCharts. If one of them isn't working, have you tried the other?

DavidinGA

Explorer
I don't think I have enough experience with SCALE to be much help here (I've played around with it on a VM, but not using it in production), but I see that Plex is available both as an "official" app and in TrueCharts. If one of them isn't working, have you tried the other?
Now that's an option I hadn't considered. It didn't occur to me that one would work and the other not. That seems odd, but then given so many variables, I suppose ... thanks for the suggestion!

DavidinGA

Explorer
The Truecharts PLEX asked different questions and completed without error. Not sure how I test it ... lol

indivision

Guru
The Truecharts PLEX asked different questions and completed without error.

Not sure why the official chart wouldn't install. From the error message, it might be a bug on the iX side.

Not sure how I test it ... lol

You mean opening the app or testing it with some content connected to it?

You should now have a "Web Portal" or "Open" button next to the app in the Installed Applications section. That will open it.

To play movies, etc. you should configure the app to use an external data path, move media files there and then set that location up as a library within Plex.

DavidinGA

Explorer
I see now ... it hadn't yet changed to "Active". I plan to host everything locally - so I guess I need to populate the "pictures" and "videos" datasets and see how things work. Thanks!

DavidinGA

Explorer
Uh, oh, wait ... how to I do that ... populate the dataset?
1658277171780.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

indivision

Guru
Uh, oh, wait ... how to I do that ... populate the dataset?
View attachment 56981

Do you mean populating the path to the dataset within the app? If so, you do that in the storage options within the app settings. Go to Apps > Installed Applications > "..." on the Plex app > Edit

In the iX version of Plex you select "Enable Host Path for Plex Data Volume" and that opens up a path field that you can point to your dataset.

In the TrueCharts version of Plex it likely has the data volume set to "PVC" which means to a location local to the app itself. You change that to "Host Path (Simple)" and then populate the path field to point to your dataset.

Save and reboot and you should then be able to access the dataset from within Plex.

Note that your permissions need to be considered in order for the app to be able to read/write correctly from that location.

DavidinGA

Explorer
In the TrueCharts version of Plex it likely has the data volume set to "PVC" which means to a location local to the app itself. You change that to "Host Path (Simple)" and then populate the path field to point to your dataset.
OK, that makes sense. There was a warning in the setup that any choice other than PVC might cause problems.
I was wondering how it would know where to look.
Once I do that then I'm guessing I can SSH in and transfer files from my laptop to that location on the server.

indivision

Guru
OK, that makes sense. There was a warning in the setup that any choice other than PVC might cause problems.
I was wondering how it would know where to look.
Once I do that then I'm guessing I can SSH in and transfer files from my laptop to that location on the server.

Yep. That's one way to do it if you have the SSH service turned on.

Mr. Tai's suggestion is probably easier. You can add an SMB share in the Shares section and connect to that with your laptop. Then it's just drag and drop.

DavidinGA

Explorer
Why SMB as opposed to the UNIX and the other option (which I can't recall at the moment)?

My laptop is running Linux.

FYI: PLEX is, at the moment, the only App I have loaded.

Thanks

DavidinGA

Explorer
OK, it's a little weird (and someone needs to replace FreeNAS with TrueNAS in the text), but it seems that SMB is cross-platform compatible.

https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/uireference/sharing/smb/smbsharescreen/

Weird because almost everything from the MS version-of-windows world seems to be more vulnerable and one argument for SCALE is that it's Linux (thus, like BSD) generically less vulnerable.

But, at the moment, it seems that SMB is the most user-friendly method provided. Yes?

(I looked at the other three and they appear to be far more complex than I have time for just now.)

WDYT?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think this is what you'd want to do, at least not exactly. The TrueCharts Plex app uses PVC for the Plex config/metadata, as they do (IIRC) for all their apps. And while it is possible to change that to Host Path or other options, I know they strongly discourage that--I think one of the reasons is that PVC allows you to roll back to an earlier version with its metadata/config. What I think you'd want to do instead, on the same screen, is "Configure Additional app storage", and set up the path you want to share with the Plex container:
1658309140636.png

(repeat as necessary if you have more than one directory to share with the container)

Then create file shares for those directories using your desired protocol, and copy away.
Why SMB as opposed to the UNIX and the other option (which I can't recall at the moment)?
As you later found, SMB is supported pretty much everywhere and works pretty well pretty much everywhere. If your only client machine is Linux, you could just as well use NFS if you'd prefer.

DavidinGA

Explorer
Cool, thanks!

Do I need to provide an IP to "advertise"?

Or, for the handful of people to whom I may give access, is it best to give them the IP privately?

I will have a bunch of documents to make available, via a Web/Blog interface - I'm not sure what's best to handle that.

They're Bible devotionals and studies, mostly text, but some have images embedded.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do I need to provide an IP to "advertise"?
I really don't know--the purpose of that option is unclear, and the tool tip help doesn't help me understand it. I'd leave it blank for now; you can always edit the app and add it later if you find it necessary.
I will have a bunch of documents to make available, via a Web/Blog interface - I'm not sure what's best to handle that.
Just scrolling through the app catalog, here are some I recognize that could do this:
  • Dokuwiki
  • Typecho
  • Grav (maybe)
  • xwiki
  • blog
  • wikijs
I only have personal experience with Dokuwiki, and as its name suggests, it's really a Wiki, but nothing prevents you from making it read-only if you choose. Grav is described as a "flexible, file-based web-platform;" it isn't really clear how helpful it would be. There's also a docker-compose app, and by way of that, you should be able to install any CMS you want--Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.

DavidinGA

Explorer
I have SMB working and transferred a bunch of folders with pictures.
When I try to access them via SMB - Plex doesn't see them.
Do I need to create Media Folders in Plex and then copy the pictures into them?
Maybe I could put the documents in a read-only folder associated with a blog - then allow comments and questions, but not editing?
I was looking at the Payload CMS - it seems rather flexible and favors local hosting. (I've used Wordpress in the past and disliked the interface.)
Thanks